Why become a member? ×

NBD (& NPGD) - 50s Precision

thegummy

Bit late posting this as I've had it for a while now but been too busy to post...

I ordered the pickguard before I even got the bass because I wanted to change it for the looks alone but as soon as I played it with the gold pickguard I was so glad I had another one coming - I hated the way it felt! Any time my fingernail touched it, it gave me the creeps!

Also put flatwounds on it.

Very nice. I'm waiting for for fiesta red 50's bass that's in the post. Should arrive in a few days. I already ordered a mint white pick guard for mine.

edit: I just gave away that I'm from the States....scratchguard I mean....

Edited by Studio GC

[quote name='Studio GC' timestamp='1488746112' post='3251524']
Very nice. I'm waiting for for fiesta red 50's bass that's in the post. Should arrive in a few days. I already ordered a mint white pick guard for mine.

[/quote]

Did you manage to get a 10 hole scratchplate/pickguard?

OP Great bass and in honey a great colour BTW

Nice bass!

Interestingly I didn't used to like the feeling of the alu pickguard either when I tried out a few of those MiM 50's ones though everything else on them was great - I've since bought a slightly relic'd version of one thinking I'd replace the guard straight away (potentially with something tort-y) but I don't notice the texture at all so maybe it's only an issue when the alu is new? Perhap a bit of wearing in is required, then you get to keep the smart looking gold...

[quote name='thegummy' timestamp='1488674314' post='3251023']
Bit late posting this as I've had it for a while now but been too busy to post...

I ordered the pickguard before I even got the bass because I wanted to change it for the looks alone but as soon as I played it with the gold pickguard I was so glad I had another one coming - I hated the way it felt! Any time my fingernail touched it, it gave me the creeps!

Also put flatwounds on it.

[/quote]

Nice!

I know what you mean about the gold pickguard... I replaced mine within a few days for the same reason, urgh. Lovely basses (mine is the red one, on my avatar)

[quote name='Studio GC' timestamp='1488746112' post='3251524']

[/quote]

tasty... I also went for the mint one... :)

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1488751257' post='3251565']
Did you manage to get a 10 hole scratchplate/pickguard?

OP Great bass and in honey a great colour BTW
[/quote]

Doh! Just checked....no it's not a 10 hole scratch plate. Back it goes.

Edited by Studio GC

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1488962511' post='3253217']
But how can you keep the '57 vibe without a gold anodized guard?

Why do you need to touch the guard during normal playing? (I can see it if using a pick).

And where are you getting these compatible 10-hole guards from..? :)
[/quote]

1) 57 vibe? I went for the neck profile/dimension and the rest of it... not a cold dead metal pickguard, blegh

2) I don't know where you put your thumb... but mine (and worse: the nail!), and parts of my hand touch the pickguard often. Urgh.

3) ;) I can't remember... it was a shop in The Netherlands, through eBay. Very nice 'mint' hue. Some are too glow-in-the-dark green, theirs was perfect.
[b]edit:[/b] Ha! Ooops... I have the bass next to me and I checked... The one I have not a 10-hole one, but 12! :lol: It's been 3 years already and I don't recall the experience of making a couple of new holes, so most of them must have aligned. Making a few new screw holes doesn't worry me, it's not a bass I could play without a pickguard so you'll never see them

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1488962511' post='3253217']
But how can you keep the '57 vibe without a gold anodized guard?[/quote]

By using flatwound strings and wearing Ray-Bans while I'm playing it :)

[quote]Why do you need to touch the guard during normal playing? (I can see it if using a pick).[/quote]

There's no deliberate touching but the occasional accidental touches feel horrible!

[quote]And where are you getting these compatible 10-hole guards from..? :)
[/quote]

WD Music. Would definitely recommend them, they take custom requests too - I opted for no thumb rest/pickup cover holes

[quote name='thegummy' timestamp='1489013865' post='3253816']
WD Music. Would definitely recommend them, they take custom requests too - I opted for no thumb rest/pickup cover holes
[/quote]

Thanks for that, but I'm keeping my gold anodized. My OCD demands it. :)

Edit: Come to think of it mines a Road Worn, so perhaps it doesn't have the feel of a new gold guard?

Edited by discreet