Why become a member? ×

I put a screwdriver through my speaker. Stop laughing.

Owen

[URL=http://s8.photobucket.com/user/peredur/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20170304_211033_zpsyjioj9tm.jpg.html][IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/peredur/Mobile%20Uploads/20170304_211033_zpsyjioj9tm.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Is it dead or will Gaffa/Superglue/Something else do the magic thing and make it better?

The whole sorry saga is here if anyone cares. http://basschat.co.uk/topic/297345-10-driver-into-oldschool-gk-combo/ . It was not a good day.

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1488743171' post='3251480']
Bummer. If it was in the cone you could fix it but I'm not sure how easy it is to fix where you have holed it. Good luck
[/quote]

+1 to the above. Since it is a puncture wound the original surround and suspension fabric / paper will still be attached. I would push it back into place and reform the shape of the surround as best you can. Apply copydex to each side in turn allowing each side to set. You might want to cut a small piece of tissue paper to fit, fold into shape to replicate the folds and copydex it onto the back) A serious case of Sod's law, if only the hole was in the main cone..... I have suggested copydex rather than wood glue due to the flexibility. You have nothing to lose now by attempting a repair.

Edited by 3below

I've repaired similar holes on guitar speakers and got away with it, but guitar speakers generally have treated paper surrounds rather than fabric and they don't have to flex as far in use. On guitar speakers, I've used coffee filter paper coloured black with marker pen, torn strips off it (so that they have soft, feathered edges) and used whatever flexible adhesive I had around to stick it to the cone. The paper forms easily to the folds when wet and adds very little extra mass. On the surround section that's already painted with a doping compound you have to look quite closely to notice that it's been repaired. The last time I did it, I used water-based neoprene glue, but that was just because I'd just fitted tolex to an amp and had some left. (And come to think of it, that glue behaves much like a less smelly Copydex)
I'm not sure whether some other reinforcing material might be more appropriate with a cloth surround though.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1488744910' post='3251503']
+1 to the above. Since it is a puncture wound the original surround and suspension fabric / paper will still be attached. I would push it back into place and reform the shape of the surround as best you can. Apply copydex to each side in turn allowing each side to set. You might want to cut a small piece of tissue paper to fit, fold into shape to replicate the folds and copydex it onto the back) A serious case of Sod's law, if only the hole was in the main cone..... I have suggested copydex rather than wood glue due to the flexibility. You have nothing to lose now by attempting a repair.
[/quote]

+1 for copydex.

3Below has the right technique. Most glues go too hard when cured. I wouldn't use white glue even on the cone never mind the surround. Copydex is latex based, it makes rubber as it cures so ideal here. It also sticks really well to paper and fabric. You ought to be able to laminate it up to cover the hole enough to effect a complete repair. A tiny bit of toilet tissue might be needed to bridge the hole and give you something to layer the latex on to. Neoprene glue might be as good, I've not tried it. Copydex is widely available and well tried though.

This just reminds my of my first ever cab - 1x15 bought off ebay, got it delivered and plugged in - sounded terrible. Opened it up and most of the speaker was being held together with sellotape on the back, including where this one's been punctured.

So yeah, don't use sellotape :)

It's true that you're more likely to punch the surround with a slotted screwdriver. The secret, however, is to make a habit of putting your thumb in between the screw and the surround when tightening or undoing the screws. I do it automatically now and have done for years.

My first ever amp (Trace Elliot Boxer 15) has a hole in the middle of the cone, probably also a screwdriver or similar. It's been held together with scotch tape ever since i can remember and it never teared or put out farty sounds. If i were you i would try the toilet/kitchen paper + art attack glue (50-50 wood glue and water :D ) solution first but the result will be a stiff zone in the fix, you can also try to see if you can use contact glue or gasket silicone mixed with the TP/Kitchen paper for the repair as both are flexible so, in theory, will last longer.

As the damage is in the suspension of the cone it may not last forever but it's cheap and easy to try before spending on a re-cone or new driver.

Good luck!