Why become a member? ×

Action lowered, better player

LITTLEWING

Just for the hell of it I lowered my normal setup action from 6/64ths E - 5/64ths G down a smidge to 5/64ths - 4/64ths (@17th fret) and adopted a lighter playing style and over the weekend have suddenly become more confident and more accurate in my playing. Gone are the thumping fingers, nasty string 'clack' and with it that initial momentary touch of grunt in the note when the volume's up the steamy end. Watch and listen to guys like Nathan East, his fingers are merely stroking the strings and everything is so composed and in the pocket. (God, I hate that saying!!) Re-training and new discipline after all these years, but so worth it.

It REALLY is all in the hands more than the instrument.

[quote name='LITTLEWING' timestamp='1488743333' post='3251482']
Just for the hell of it I lowered my normal setup action from 6/64ths E - 5/64ths G down a smidge to 5/64ths - 4/64ths (@17th fret) and adopted a lighter playing style and over the weekend have suddenly become more confident and more accurate in my playing. Gone are the thumping fingers, nasty string 'clack' and with it that initial momentary touch of grunt in the note when the volume's up the steamy end. Watch and listen to guys like Nathan East, his fingers are merely stroking the strings and everything is so composed and in the pocket. (God, I hate that saying!!) Re-training and new discipline after all these years, but so worth it.

[/quote]

Good man. From what I read it's not for everyone but I found similar results to yourself.

In addition I had to think about my plucking to get the best out of the reduced action. Lightening the touch is, as you say, helpful for confidence and accuracy but it also showed me where I was tending to pluck the strings inefficiently. I now pluck more or less parallel to the instrument body thereby wasting less energy and causing little fret noise. It is one style of playing and it complements my developing set of skills nicely.

Have you also looked at your pick-up height? There might be benefits from a little adjustment now that you have modified your saddle height and style.

Does 1/64" (or roughly 0.39mm) really make that big of a difference?

This is a genuine question, by the way, there is no sarcasm intended.

I'm just not sure I'd be able to tell with that tiny change but then I've never measured or specifically set my action.

A few years ago, after having a fret stone and ultra low set up at the Gallery, my Lakland played like a million dollars. I play quite lightly anyway but I still had this feeling of constantly having to hold back so, after a few months, I decided the action was too low. I took it up a little and am now much happier. I find I'm now able to bring better dynamics to my playing.

3 of my 4 basses were Pleked when they were made so I have a good starting point. I don't measure my strings when I'm altering the action on my basses. I take the strings down till they buzz then bring them up until they don't. Obviously, with a lighter touch they won't have to come up as far as some but that little bit of extra height is enough for me.

Everyone is different. I saw Nathan East, one of my favourite bassists, at GAK and he had a very even and light playing style. Every note was perfect even when he was messing about. When I saw Victor Wooten at DV247 his playing style was very "agricultural". It was a surprise to me how rough he was when playing. Almost attacking the bass.

6/64ths is approx 2.4mm at 17th fret on E
5/64ths is approx 2mm at 17th fret on the E.
I normally set mine at 12th so i'm guessing that the action is pretty low even at your previous setting.
I'm assuming you must be approx 1.5-1.8mm at 12th fret now and that's quite low to me ?

A lot depends on the sound you are trying to achieve.
I like having an aggressive sound from my bass with most bands i play with. If strings are too low i get too much noise or fret buzz.
I find i need to have a trade off in those styles between string height and playability.
If i lowered the strings i could probably play faster with more ease but don't want to lose the attack.
My normal setting is a shade lower than Fender or Warwick spec for most bands however i'm currently with a more blues based band and might try a lower setting on my PJ once the strings are due to be replaced. It came with 105's and i prefer 40-100 max. Intonation needs a tweak too.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='joeystrange' timestamp='1488787873' post='3251654']
Does 1/64" (or roughly 0.39mm) really make that big of a difference?

This is a genuine question, by the way, there is no sarcasm intended.

I'm just not sure I'd be able to tell with that tiny change but then I've never measured or specifically set my action.
[/quote]

Yes.

I need a super low action and ultra light strings - I used to use 30-90s where possible - 35-95 otherwise. I'm now using Status tapewounds which are 40-100 but feel so light I sometimes wonder if I'm actually playing. I don't use a plectrum, play lots of open and ghost notes - low action and light strings help.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1488856703' post='3252423']
I think it is all in your mind, 1/64th of an inch is not noticible as far as playing technique is concerned. It's your attitude and technique tweek that really made the change. So it's YOU that did the good work :)
[/quote]

Yes but you thought that. So that statement is also in your mind. Heeheehee.

Joking aside, 1/64th is the difference between fret buzz and no fret buzz when basses are set low on action. It doesn't make much difference to the higher action set-ups admittedly but we weren't talking about that. High action has its place too but the OP has already been there.

I tend to set my basses as low as possible, I play with a light ish touch and set them up just to the point were they buzz if I really dig in.
If I cannot set the bass up to what I consider a satisfactory action for me then I will send them off for a fret dress.
Fender spec feels crazy high to me , 2.4mm !!!! You could almost fire arrows with that

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1488902552' post='3252794']
I tend to set my basses as low as possible, I play with a light ish touch and set them up just to the point were they buzz if I really dig in.
If I cannot set the bass up to what I consider a satisfactory action for me then I will send them off for a fret dress.
Fender spec feels crazy high to me , 2.4mm !!!! You could almost fire arrows with that
[/quote]

Serious question but what style of music do you play. ?
I'm only askng because i've tried lowering my action on basses over the years to find too much rattle or buzz but i have more or less always played with quite an aggressive style in Rock or Prog bands where the attack suited what i was doing.
I've recently changed to a more sedate band and was seriously considering dropping action as i don't need the aggressive tone with the current band.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1488904773' post='3252811']
Serious question but what style of music do you play. ?
I'm only askng because i've tried lowering my action on basses over the years to find too much rattle or buzz but i have more or less always played with quite an aggressive style in Rock or Prog bands where the attack suited what i was doing.
I've recently changed to a more sedate band and was seriously considering dropping action as i don't need the aggressive tone with the current band.

Dave
[/quote]
Mostly classic rock kind of stuff Cream, Hendrix, Rolling stones, is worth seeing when you get a little bit of fret buzz whether it is actually audible through your amp, if there is a little bit of fret buzz then there is a chance that it may not even be audible through the amp and even less so once you throw other instruments into the mix. I used to use an aggressive playing style but have found I can get lower action with a lighter playing style and the difference in tone from playing lighter is much less than I thought it would be

Took your advice and have dropped the action on my new Precision Deluxe and re-read the Fender set up spec which is 2mm (+/- 0.4mm) at 17th fret.
I knew the action was a little higher than my normal setting however i was gonna wait until string change as i use a lighter gauge than ones supplied.
Decided not to wait and droppe it to approx 2.2 to 2.3mm on E string and was very surprised just how much a difference it made. Difficult to explain but the bass just feels easier to play even with my usual aggressive technique..
I still need to tweak the neck but will wait till string change for that. Doesn't need much tho.

If this is ok at next rehearsal i might drop a little more for the next weeks rehearsal.

So you can teach an old dog new tricks after all.

Thanks for this post. ;) :lol: ;)

Dave

Another High Action Club member here (whoops, starting to get a little too much like Talkbass...). Although there are some proponents of low action/light touch who do great things, I can't get on with it at all.

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1488833527' post='3252256']
I've always needed my strings a hair off the board, it seems like every bass I pick up has what I consider a huge action, and I just don't get how people play with any fluency on them!?
Super low for me :)
[/quote]

I always have the opposite problem - I try other basses and feel like everything is choked and there's no 'room to move'!

it all depends on playing style mines quite aggressive with a 1mm pick, don't like fret buzz coming through the amp so I use a £1 coin under the 17th fret which makes it 3.15mm, have tried lower actions, can't say it makes it easier to play, mind you I very rarely venture beyond the 5th fret, so unless the nut isn't set correctly it doesn't make that much difference

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1489048937' post='3253907']
When I play at home, I tend to find a nice low action is fine [color=#0000cd][b]but as soon as the band kick off I need to dig in harder [/b][/color]and it's clank and buzz. It's not like I play like Hooky or anything, but it's horses for courses really.
[/quote]

I find that as well, if I am not loud enough ;) TURN IT UP! :lol:

seriously, I have found that I needed to dig harder but that was because my bass seemed underpowered (either EQ or more commonly just volume) turning up a bit fixed that everytime. Digging in is good for effect here and there but if you need to wrestle with the bass for a whole gig that just makes playing more difficult, for me.

I've never measured the height of action, and the thing is, having several basses, I quite like a different action for different basses. I tend to set the action to what feels right for each bass. I also don't like the action to be set too low - but each to their own of course. What suits one may not suit another....

I'm really with you on the playing lighter though. My background being mainly in punk and rock - I had a few lessons a while back, with excellent Cardiff based tutor Jon Caulfield. He kept telling me to lighten my touch, and yes, I think it's definitely more "controlled". Plus, if you really want to belt a few notes out, and dig in more for a short while - it gives you that ability and the dynamics of playing lighter, then more aggressive, then lighter again. Whereas if you're constantly playing heavily - there's nowhere else to go.

It takes time to adapt your style of play, and it's great to hear that the lower action has helped you do this :)

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1489012024' post='3253807']
Took your advice and have dropped the action on my new Precision Deluxe and re-read the Fender set up spec which is 2mm (+/- 0.4mm) at 17th fret.
I knew the action was a little higher than my normal setting however i was gonna wait until string change as i use a lighter gauge than ones supplied.
Decided not to wait and droppe it to approx 2.2 to 2.3mm on E string and was very surprised just how much a difference it made. Difficult to explain but the bass just feels easier to play even with my usual aggressive technique..
I still need to tweak the neck but will wait till string change for that. Doesn't need much tho.

If this is ok at next rehearsal i might drop a little more for the next weeks rehearsal.

So you can teach an old dog new tricks after all.

Thanks for this post. ;) :lol: ;)

Dave
[/quote]
Good to hear it worked for you , hopefully it works well after your string change, i know some guys find a slightly heavier gauge works better for them to achieve lower action but 2.2 to 2.3mm you may not need to do this, and if you are going lighter you may not even need to touch the truss rod (lower action tends to favour less relief and obviously lower tension strings should give less relief) I went up a gauge but my action is very low

Edited by markdavid

[quote name='LITTLEWING' timestamp='1488743333' post='3251482']
[/quote]

Yes! But it also helps to have a good-sounding instrument as well. I prefer a low action, but I find a higher action results in a much better overall sound, even though this makes the bass slightly more difficult to play. It's worth the effort.