Why become a member? ×

Hello from Epping....

Phil C

Hello People

It seems only polite to do an intro, having just used the site to purchase a rather lovely CS PJ bass, and now to attempt to sell my USA Spector NS2.

So, I have been playing bass for around 35 years now - mostly rock music, but dep for a a few pop/function bands occasionally.

Bass history - I started on a Kay Precision copy which cost £50! I then upgraded to a Westone Thunder 1 A (which I remember costing just over £140)..... I later managed to get hold of an old Rickenbacker, which had a slightly twisted neck, and truss rods that could not be moved (someone had tried to adjust them with pliers!)..... That got traded in for a Status headless bass. In around 1989 I joined a great local group "The Workhouse" (www.theworkhouse.net) and ended up very good friends with the singer. We ended up building a recording studio together, and writing and recording our own songs. At the time of joining I had the old Rickenbacker bass, and then the Status. The Status was really difficult to record, as every buzz and rattle seemed to be amplified and in retrospect it was no good for a classic rock bass sound. Around 1992 ish we were recording a track at Odessa Wharf Studios, when our friend and producer (Gwyn Mathias) said "Phil - get a precision" - so being a good boy, I scoured Loot and found an add for a Precision Bass for £400. Long story short - I ended up with Allen Spenner's 1977 Precision, which has been my main bass up until recently. I used it without issue until a couple of years ago, when the pick ups started to sag. I took it to a Luthier, who told me that the bass was exactly the same as when it had left the factory (which was nice to hear)..... you can see an image of the bass on the Workhouse web site.

Amp wise, I started with a Peavy TKO 80 combo, and quickly moved to a 100 W H and H head, with a mix of any cabinets I could afford! At around the same time as the Precision, I bought a 2nd hand Mesa Boogie Bass 400+, along with a mesa 2x10 and 1x18. A great rig, which I still use for bigger gigs... (I currently have a great time playing for Deeper Purple!). To save my back I recently bought a Mark Bass 800w head, along with a 2x12 800w cab (New York?). A good rig for pubs and weddings.

The bass collection has grown a little - I have an CIJ Aerodyne (2006) (normally taken along as a spare), and a USA Deluxe Jazz (2010 ish)(amazing depth of tone), along with my new and very lovely Custom Shop Pro 2012 PJ combination (yet to be gigged). I also have the Spector NS2, which is perfect and beautifully built, but not for me. I have a Fender acoustic bass, along with 2 Yamaha Acoustic guitars (APX5 and APX5NA) and a Gibson Les Paul for messing around on (I am not a great guitarist!).

Effects wise, I have recently put together a small board (Pedal train Metro 16) with bass tuner, Eventide H9 (for occasional chorus, phasing and octave), and a programmable Sansamp Bass DI. These are all powered by the lovely compact CIOKS DC5.

Enjoying the forum - just have to learn a bit more about the photo side of things - as I don't have URLs for my pictures!!

Cheers
Phil

Edited by Phil C

Morning Phil and welcome.
Well done on an an interesting and detailed introduction.

Will look forward to seeing some pics. You're best off hosting your pics on Flickr or photobucket etc and then copying and pasting on to here.

Enjoy the forum and maybe we will catch up one of these days at a gig (I'm in Herts).