Why become a member? ×

Anyone got a Fender Mustang bass, opinions please

jembullo

Hi there,

I'm considering a Fender Mustang short scale, currently play a P Bass and a Jazz, but like the idea of a short scale. I'll be playing funky, soul covers and wondered how the sound, how they handle and will I lose anything playing a short scale. Additionally what do you string it with for the best sound?
Cheers
Jem

Had a Mustang for a while and it sounded just like a precision. Moved it on as it wasn't giving me anything I didn't already have and it wasn't necessary for me to have a shorter scaled bass.

No idea on strings, I was happy with the ones that came with it and didn't swap them out!

I have a Squier VM Mustang, this one:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/new-fender-and-squier-electric-guitars-basses-acoustics-announced-464773

Got it about 12 months ago and it's my favourite. I guess you could describe it as a small Precision with a SS Jazz neck. The narrow string spacing is something to get used to. Not a light-weight as I expected but not a heavy-weight. Finish is good, tuners etc.

I fitted the Labella 760F-MUS as they have a longer silk at the ball end due to the string through body. I had it professionally set up with a low action which makes it very easy on the left hand. I haven't heard a bad thing about the whole range of Fender or Squier Mustangs.

I have the FSR MIJ Reissue Mustang bass that was released in October time. Fantastic little bass. Sonically it's very similar to my p bass but the convenience for taking it for teaching (and when I'm practicing at home and don't want to hit my headstock off my computer screen every two minutes!) it's really handy. For less than £500 new, it was a steal!

I had a Mustang to, the Jap version, so very much like the originals. I really liked it; wish I still had it. Definitely got some P bass DNA. Mine was easy to play, fast, Jazz width neck. You need medium scale strings if you have the through body bridge (I brought short scale and they didn't fit). Personally I preferred round wound for what I do. It sat in the band mix just right (like a P bass). Great bass and I only moved mine on because at 6"6' I felt a bit silly playing something that small. Having said that, it's still bigger than a guitar, so probably looked fine and I was being self conscious.

I had a MIJ version... wish I'd never sold it and even thinking about getting one of the latest ones. I'm 6'2" and never had any issues with the size (or the tone). Used to use it for long rehearsals and also alternated with my p bass for gigs.

I have a Pawn Shop model which I don`t think you can buy anymore. I don`t really use it to be honest and have almost sold it on several occasions but it`s the wife`s favourite and it`s so damm sexy.

It sounds like a hot P bass to me and as I have 3 other basses with versions of the P bass pickup, I usually grab one of them. Use medium scale strings and I have fitted D`addario rounds, 45 - 100 if I remember right.

If I was to buy another short scale, I would get a SS Jag with the PJ pickups. They seem to get a good write up and are a good bit cheaper than a Mustang.

Edited by jezzaboy

I had a MIM Pawn Shop Mustang, which benefitted greatly from the (very easy) conversion of the pickup from series to parallel wiring. I sold it last summer and pre-ordered a MIJ FSR model, which cost less and is fantastic. I have never got round to reviewing it on BC, but strung with Chromes it has plenty of top end and a fat core sound. I have used it on a function and in a country band and it handles both with ease.

I would describe it as the Precision's snot-nosed kid brother!