Why become a member? ×

iPad Song Sheets & Set Lists

Blink

Evening All

I have searched the forum and the last time this subject seems to have been covered was in 2014.

Looking to move my paper collection of crib sheets onto iPad. Any recommendations on apps to use, more for rehearsal than live but the occasional crib sheet for a new song in the set would be welcome.

N

I use OnSong and love it! Very versatile. You can upload pdfs either in sheet music or lead sheet form, Word files or create new files/convert Word and PDF into a special format which gives you transposable, capo-able chords. You can add annotations. You can then arrange them into set lists and a whole load of other functionality. I then drive mine through a Bluetooth foot pedal to scroll backwards and forwards. Here's how the interface looks...

That's obviously a scanned PDF of some sheet music but mostly I use lead sheets/chord sheets. Dead easy.

There are other similar apps available but OnSong seems head and shoulder above the rest for me.

I've used unrealBook for a few years now.
[url="https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/unrealbook/id370135173?mt=8"]https://itunes.apple...d370135173?mt=8[/url]

You can take photos of existing charts or upload PDF's. this can all be arranged into setlist a for each project. I also like the ability to draw over the top so if you have a different arrangement, need to add a cue or spot a mistake in the chart you can easily scribble notes. I've even done this mid gig between songs.

I've transcribed everything in Sibelius over about the last 10 - 15 years, so it was really easy for me to convert the charts to PDF and then upload then to unrealBook.

Also, for simple chord charts I use iReal pro.
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/ireal-pro-music-book-play-along/id298206806?mt=8

It's well worth learning how to make your own charts within this. The bonus here is if you set up the form of the song correctly you can use it for play along too. The transpose feature on this has saved me a few times too.

Edited by NoirBass

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1488848129' post='3252415']
I use forScore on gigs where I need access to parts / lyrics etc.
Don't know how it compares to others TBH, but works fine for what I need.
[/quote]

When gigging, what's a good stand for the device? The folding covers that serve as stands don't seem fit for purpose.

Note: I have avoided the words "music stand". Well almost.

Well I don't care -MUSIC STAND!!

I use one as my eyesight doesn't allow the use of one of the iPad mic stand jobbies, they're just the wrong angle / too close for me.
The music stand (there, I've done it again...) allows perfect positioning for a myopic old bugger like me. Never once had anyone
comment on it being there either. With my Country band we have probably 300+ songs in the pad, so none of us can remember
music/words to all of them. Before using the iPad, massive folders of parts did look a bit naff, so it's now a lot better.

I use a Manos Mike stand iPad holder when being a disgrace to all bassists everywhere on stage. Nice and robustly made and easily adjustable. Just attach it to my mic stand. Very pleased with it.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/airturn_manos_mount.htm

Here's a photo of it ruining the listening experience of the punters... how can I possibly show my face in public... oh the shame... :D

Edited by TrevorR

Do any of these apps allow you to create "crib sheets" directly from the iPad.

I'm looking for something to help me remember new bass parts I'm writing at rehearsals rather than scrawling loads of hand-written notes on paper, and trying to recall which set of corrections are the most recent when I come to run through the song ideas between band practices in order to refine them.

Set List Maker - Used this on ships. Has all of our song library on, as well as all of our predefined set lists. As well as grouping the songs into genres e.t.c - Super handy if someone asks for a certain style and you have over 500 songs and one doesn't spring to mind.

iRealPro - Great for jazz and transposing charts, saved my ass sooooo many times.

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1488884752' post='3252582']
I use a Manos Mike stand iPad holder when being a disgrace to all bassists everywhere on stage. Nice and robustly made and easily adjustable. Just attach it to my mic stand. Very pleased with it.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/airturn_manos_mount.htm

Here's a photo of it ruining the listening experience of the punters... how can I possibly show my face in public... oh the shame... :D

[/quote]

My eyes!! What is wrong with you man, Why must you do this to me! I can't unsee this monstrosity. It may well have ruined music for me for ever. 😂

[quote name='Luulox' timestamp='1488886260' post='3252597']

My eyes!! What is wrong with you man, Why must you do this to me! I can't unsee this monstrosity. It may well have ruined music for me for ever. 😂
[/quote]

It could be worse, before I got the iPad I did use a... well, you know what!

[quote name='NoirBass' timestamp='1488872460' post='3252451']
I've used unrealBook for a few years now.
[url="https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/unrealbook/id370135173?mt=8"]https://itunes.apple...d370135173?mt=8[/url]

You can take photos of existing charts or upload PDF's. this can all be arranged into setlist a for each project. I also like the ability to draw over the top so if you have a different arrangement, need to add a cue or spot a mistake in the chart you can easily scribble notes. I've even done this mid gig between songs.

I've transcribed everything in Sibelius over about the last 10 - 15 years, so it was really easy for me to convert the charts to PDF and then upload then to unrealBook.

Also, for simple chord charts I use iReal pro.
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/ireal-pro-music-book-play-along/id298206806?mt=8

It's well worth learning how to make your own charts within this. The bonus here is if you set up the form of the song correctly you can use it for play along too. The transpose feature on this has saved me a few times too.
[/quote]

Pretty much all this for me (Both Apps).
iReal Pro for any Jazz standards I am unfamiliar with.

unRealbook for my Notation and Scores. It's great that you can amend the PDF's
with scribbles and changes etc. Top App.

Another ForScore user here. I was a bit worried that my screen (iPad 2) would be too small for me to read the dots, but you can use the Crop function to take off the white borders and consequently make the dots bigger.

I know a keyboard player who uses an iPad Pro - he has 2 lines of music to read at once - but that's a rather spendy option!

i've just started using the [b]Deepdish GigBook[/b] app. Having found others to be clunky and a faff to sort out, this one, after reading the helpful 'how to' had me up and running in minutes. I liked ForScore but I couldn't help thinking there had to be an easier way and have now stopped using it. OnSong again for some reason I just didn't find intuitive even though it gets rave reviews. We're all different I suppose!

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1488886377' post='3252600']
It could be worse, before I got the iPad I did use a... well, you know what!
[/quote]
Forget the iPad, what about that mess of leads round your feet! Definitely a trip hazard. Where's the H&S inspector.