Why become a member? ×

Let a bass go

SH73

It's not hard to sell a bass if you need too for some reason; cash for another bass, cash for rent or whatever...

The thing too avoid in my experience is selling a bass because you think you should... too many basses, can't justify them all etc. That always leads too regret..

I can think of several basses I would gladly pay the price I sold them for to have them back.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1488842955' post='3252388']
I'm having second thoughts about my squire Matt freeman perhaps it's a Oman not to sell
[/quote]
If you decided two sell it let me know.I could do with another MF bass.

I really struggle, I have the dealer edition Warwick which doesn't suit my current band so rarely gets used, however, if at some point in time I find myself playing in a funky band the Warwick will be absolutely spot on, I know I need to sell it but I know if I do the chances of getting another are very slim

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1488836843' post='3252314']
(...) [b]sell a bass you like the tone of, playability etc.[/b] (...)
[/quote]

If that's true then that's the bass you should be using. I never sold a bass i liked the sound/feel unless it was a move for something i liked even more. Regrets happen when we sell a bass in wich we can't find a fault.

Ask yourself these questions: "Will the new bass sound better than this one?" ; "Will the new bass be more comfortable to play than this?" ; "Will i be using it a lot more than this?" ; "Have i really tried the new bass and know for sure the answer to all the previous questions or is this jus GAS driving me???"

Good luck

Similar to a thread I started - the best advice / answer I had was only sell if you [i]have [/i]to. If you like the Jazz and can afford to keep it, then keep it.

It is however, commendable if you can stick to a one in - one out rule. I definitely can't. :rolleyes:

I'm up to 8 Basses now. And I like them all for different reasons. Letting go of any would be difficult.

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1488836843' post='3252314']
How hard is it for you to sell a bass you like the tone of, playability etc. but use the least.
[/quote]

Not hard at all. If it's used the least that must mean you've got a bass(es) that sound and play better and you use the most.

I sold my Wal mk3 Custom 5 string bass. Wonderful as it was I'd only gigged it twice in 3 years and I hadn't taken it of its case in a year. So when I got an offer I took it. It was the best sounding bass for the originals bands and studio work but when that dried up other basses became more appropriate.

My Lull P and Lull J are fighting each other to be played. I don't have a [i]one-in-one-out[/i] policy, but I do have an [i]it's-got-to-be-gigged-to-be-kept[/i] policy. I have no problem selling stuff that won't be used.

I have a one in, one out policy that I almost never apply. Funnily enough I seem to buy fretless basses more often than fretted. The Aria SB1000 takes some beating and is my only fretted bass, apart from a cheapy acoustic that I just use for writing/noodling. I now have 3 fretless basses. Wal Custom, Cort B4FL and the latest, a Squier VM fretless which arrived today. I'm going to find a way to justify it....

With great difficulty, which is why I have way too many.

I have a G&L 2500 trib I keep meaning to sell, but then I pick it up and play it and it stays there, my ibanez 805 generally doesn't get gigged but plays so well, and there are a few others.

I need to sell them at some point. I use the excuse that I have a lot of guitars too and I have played any of those in ages!