Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on DiMarzio DP122BK P-bass pickups

anzoid

Anyone tried the DiMarzio DP122BK P-bass pickups and like to comment? Thinking about a set for my MIM P-bass... It's currently sporting a set of SD Quarter Pounders that I very much like the sound of, but always on the lookout for something interesting (cheaper than buying a new bass... :D)

They're more usually known as the Model P, there's loads of reviews online if you Google 'Dimarzio Model P' but as usual you'll get a ton of often conflicting information!

I've had a couple of these over the years - and have just picked up another one on here recently for a great price.
They are a very different beast from the quarter pounders though, the QP's supposedly have masses of bottom end and a mid scoop so are more modern sounding (I've not used the QP's personally, but this seems to be the online consensus, so apologies if that's not right!) whereas the Model P sounds much more like the classic Precision tone - solid, rounded bass, punchy mids and enough top end to cut through without being too bright sounding. Think something along the lines of the tone that has served Steve Harris so well over the years and you'll be in the right ball park.

Personally I love the tone of them. I've read that 1 or 2 people think they have a bit more mid range than the Precision is known for, but in my experience that is not the case, they give the classic P tone but with a somewhat higher output from the pickup. They work brilliantly in a band mix too.

As to whether they're the sort of thing you will like, only you can answer that :)

Edited by Osiris

[quote name='anzoid' timestamp='1488884131' post='3252574']
Anyone tried the DiMarzio DP122BK P-bass pickups and like to comment? Thinking about a set for my MIM P-bass... It's currently sporting a set of SD Quarter Pounders that I very much like the sound of, but always on the lookout for something interesting (cheaper than buying a new bass... :D)
[/quote] The DiMarzio pickups are nice but I am in the to much midrange camp if it was my bass I would prefer the 1/4 pounders but I think the DiMarzios are well built and could be worth a try if you dont like them they sell quick enough on here