Why become a member? ×

Fender Classic 50s P or the Roger Waters model?

fretmeister

Anyone tried both of these?

I'm looking for a nice P bass and I know these 2 are quite similar in spec, main differences appearing to be the 'board radius and the pickup.

Is there anything else I'm missing that would make a real difference?

And would I be able to find either of them weighing 8.5lb ish?

ta

I can't comment on the Roger Waters model, but I have the classic 50s and that weighs in at 8.8lbs so not far off what you've said. . Very nice bass it is to, it is my bench mark that all the others have to meet and it has yet to be bettered!

[quote name='Storky' timestamp='1488897657' post='3252743']
I can't comment on the Roger Waters model, but I have the classic 50s and that weighs in at 8.8lbs so not far off what you've said. . Very nice bass it is to, it is my bench mark that all the others have to meet and it has yet to be bettered!
[/quote]
[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1488898074' post='3252749']
The Roadworn version is probably lighter...they usually are.
[/quote]

Both are brilliant basses and the bar against which other basses should be measured

The ROg W has the Quater pounder pick up IIRC. Quite a hot and rock tone, very fat. I now own a Classic 50's and it's pretty damn good, the tone and pick up is classic old P. Having tried both I'd pick the classic every time - it's quite a funky old school beasty and despite usually preferring a jazz width neck I've actually bonded quite well with the shallow cricket bat. Great P's ;)