Why become a member? ×

Little Mark 2- 8ohm vs 4ohm cab

cameltoe

I've recently sold my Bass Terror (which gave the full 500w at both 4 and 8ohms) and will shortly be receiving a Little Mark 2, which I believe has a reduced output at 8ohms.

My current cab is a TC RS212 (8ohm) and I'm wondering if I will gain anything by using a 4ohm cab instead? Will it be louder, with more headroom? Punchier?

Guy in my local music shop says 'more heat' as the amp will run hotter and that volume-wise I wouldn't notice a difference unless I was really having to drive the amp.

I'm looking to change the cab anyway for something with a slightly smaller footprint, but it would be good to understand my options.

Thanks!

The LMII puts out 300 watts at 8 ohms and 500 watts at 4ohms, and the RS212 is rated to 400 power handling, so I think you'll be fine. You should be shifting plenty of air, and I doubt you'd notice much more usable volume if you went to 4 ohms :)

Edited by walbassist

I really don't know why they even make 4ohm cabs. The advantage of slightly more output power seems negated by never being able to add another cab IME.

*Assuming 4ohm minimum load, obviously

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1488905098' post='3252816']
I really don't know why they even make 4ohm cabs. The advantage of slightly more output power seems negated by never being able to add another cab IME.

*Assuming 4ohm minimum load, obviously
[/quote]

THIS. The only 4ohm cabs worth having are 8x10s / Trace BFC type 'all in one cabs'.

The big selling point for TC was their "We can drive 3 cabs" line, so with their amps at the time running down to 2.67 ohms the cabs had to be 8 ohm.

IMO for smaller cabs there is no point in 4 ohm versions (unless the amp runs down to 2 ohms) because you always get more volume and better tone from more speakers.

Honestly I don't think it'll make much difference, even the more heat comment is a bit spurious, you wouldn't notice in practice and the amp will run at 4 ohms all day long, but it won't be enough louder at 4ohms to make much difference. Save your money.

Plus 1 on Treb's suggestion. I find the use of 2 8ohm 1x12 cabs on my LM3 to offer a good practical solution. 1 cab for rehearsals 2 for gigs, the sound of 2 is much fuller and punchier - I don't put this down to the power output difference, more the amount of air being shifted.