Why become a member? ×

Which lightweight Combo?

Bridgehouse

I'm currently using a Helix for most of my duties. I'm about to order up a FRFR (FR800) from Barefaced to use live, but I'd also like to get hold of a combo to have for backup and knocking around, etc.

- Up to £1k but preferably a lot less!
- Lightweight
- Enough volume for most normal gigging situations
- FX loop so I can shove Helix through it as well

Mostly P bass going through it so looking for classic thumpy P tone.

What would you recommend?

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1488913425' post='3252913']

There endeth the thread :)
[/quote]

I see. It is indeed on the shortlist.

Is there anything else I should take a look at before I pull the trigger and just get one of these?

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1488914344' post='3252924']
You could also check out "the best combo for under £1,000 thread" on here which had a number of other suggestions plus a recommended winner - which I'm still gigging with today! :)
[/quote]

Please link to the thread in question or just tell us which bloody combo it is! Thhp! :P

In a choice between the fenders & markbass the fenders would win every time for me - I thought the markbass sound crap when I've used them (could just be me though).

Tbh if it were me I'd get a small cab & head - so many more options for equal size/weight!

I use one of these with the NY 121 ext cab.
Its barely more than 13kgs.
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Markbass-Mini-CMD-121P-Bass-Combo-Amp-1-x-12/ADZ?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=13463d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=127237573039&gclid=CjwKEAiA0fnFBRC6g8rgmICvrw0SJADx1_zAQ9yZc8grNbCO9GKkepuZdIEL7F3gP_kqhPDDfBOcDBoCVLXw_wcB

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1488924549' post='3253039']
In a choice between the fenders & markbass the fenders would win every time for me - I thought the markbass sound crap when I've used them (could just be me though).

Tbh if it were me I'd get a small cab & head - so many more options for equal size/weight!
[/quote]

I did wonder if a small head and cab would be a better choice, but I suspect this thread would be 12 pages long already if I'd have asked:

"Which small lightweight head and cab for under £1k for normal gigging duties with FX loop?"

[quote name='Bridgehouse' timestamp='1488925370' post='3253052']
I did wonder if a small head and cab would be a better choice, but I suspect this thread would be 12 pages long already if I'd have asked:

"Which small lightweight head and cab for under £1k for normal gigging duties with FX loop?"
[/quote]

Having just said that - without wanting to break the internet with traffic, and by way of comparison, if I did go for a head/cab setup rather than a combo, for under £1k or so, and sticking roughly to the same weight/portability of the Rumble 500/MB 121 - what would you go for?

Well yes - it just turns into everyone listing what they have.

I'd go barefaced 1x10 (lots of people like these) or tks s112 (predictably what I have) for the cab then pick a class d head that suits your stylistic needs.

Yes, you're right - a list of everyone's current rigs ;)

If I went cab and head I think I'd rather go more down the line of tone I prefer. If I did that I know I'd end up darkglass microtubes or Mesa subway D800 and then the budget is shot!

Do try before you buy if possible. I was in the market for a light and loud combo. I didn't get on with a Fender Rumble, preferred Mark Bass. Both were light but not quite light enough. Both were loud but not quite loud enough. And I didn't really like the tone from either. I ended up with separates - Barefaced 110 and Quilter bass block.

I've got a Rumble 500 and Markbass CMD121P (with extension cab too). Both excellent combos but I tend to use the Fender for more rock focused gigs and leave the Markbass for everything else. If I had to choose one to stick with I'd go with the Markbass.

In agreement with the amp cab theory here. I currently use a Markass 250 Blackline with an Ashdown Mi10 to good effect.

So, Grangur's suggestion of a Barefaced 1x10 and Markbass LM3 sounds like a good option.

Edited by naxos10

I have the Markbass 121 combo and ext cab and find it useful for most styles but like someone said its down to your personal opinion on what sounds best for you.
There are so many lightweight combos out there.
One lightweight head i had was the Genz Benz streamliner 600 (tube pre-amp) and i've seen them circa £300 2nd hand. Add a decent cab at circa £300-£400 and you should have a fantastic combination.

List is endless with that budget i would have thought.
Dave

Think its down to personal taste and how they sound to you rather than what we think
I personally find some class D amps a bit light in the depth department, some are a bit harsh sounding and others too clean sounding.
Main reason i went for the Markbass was i heard friends play them with same type of basses i had and they all sound great and were able to cut thru the mix in various style of bands ie Prog 5 piece, covers bands and general rock music. It just suited what i was looking for at that time.

You def need to get out there and try the different types before buying.

Dave

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1489352888' post='3256322']
Don't get the Fender. I don't want anybody else getting such fabulous tone in such a compact and lightweight combo as I do. Nothing to see here. Look elsewhere

:D
[/quote]

Don't worry - I didn't. See my other thread.

EICH T1000 1000w head, and Vanderkley 1200w 4ohm 2x10 cab...

You're safe. There's no way they will sound like your Fender! ;)