Why become a member? ×

Importing/Exporting basses & CITES restrictions.... help!

benh

Hi all,

After a few inquiries about couriering a bass overseas I've been left a bit confused! Earlier this month I contacted Ishibashi in Japan about importing a bass, and they (very quickly) replied stating that due to new CITES regulations they couldn't ship guitars/basses overseas containing Rosewood, as they had to apply for an export license to cover this.

I'm asking because I have some interest from the US about a bass I have in the for sale section at the moment (shameless plug - http://basschat.co.uk/topic/301771-ft-warwick-streamer-jazzman-lx-5-string/page__p__3252685__hl__warwick%20streamer%20jazzman__fromsearch__1#entry3252685 ) and various international couriers have warned me that this bass may contain some woods which fall under CITES regulations - even though it was manufactured long before these came into effect (January this year I believe) and contains no Rosewood. Just wondering if anyone else has had any issues exporting or importing in the last few months, or if you could shed any more light on the matter because it's all getting a bit.... confusing! Starting to remember why I never sell to overseas buyers!

Any info would be appreciated guys. Cheers!

My understanding of the new CITES regs is that it doesn't matter when a bass was manufactured. If it contains wood from endangered species it needs certificates that prove the wood came from an acceptable source. This has been the case for a while with a number of wood species, but it's now that the rosewood species often used in guitars have been included that a spanner has well and truly been thrown in the works. Your bass, if it contains rosewood, may well be effectively unsaleable across borders - unless you can get some satisfactory paperwork from its original manufacturer that specifies where the wood came from.

It's more than just interest...I want this bass. I've been looking for a while for this bass! Enough to pay ridiculous shipping and buy a permit for customs if i need to. I'm still researching options. If anyone has an info on how to get this done, please chime in.

Just ran across this link. According to this list from the [color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]CITES.org website, none of the woods of the bass ([/font][/color][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]swamp ash/AA flamed maple body, ovangkol neck, wenge fretboard) [/font][/color][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]are listed on this list.[/font][/color]

https://cites.org/eng/app/appendices.php

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Anyone want to take a look and confirm that I'm reading it right...please. Pretty please![/font][/color]

[quote name='Matte_black' timestamp='1489361842' post='3256415']
[url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millettia_laurentii"]https://en.wikipedia...ettia_laurentii[/url] this is Wengé. The Guilbourtia is Bubinga.
[/quote]

Ah, I stand corrected.. must of got my wires crossed. Edited my post! :happy:

Most luthiers will probably not be supplying paperwork because their wood stocks have been built up over time (20 and 30 years in some cases) and none of those will have any provenance.

Sadowsky have already stated they will not internationally ship new basses containing any woods listed in CITES. They are looking for alternatives but the old stuff will only be sold within the USA. The EU is slightly different because, as far as I understand, the border checks don't apply as all the countries in the EU are treated as one country for customs purposes.