Why become a member? ×

Shipping a bass to the US? Regulations on exotic woods...HELP!

blong0676

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Hi all, sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I need some answers.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#141414]I'm located in the US and have found a bass that I want to purchase from the UK. We have agreed on a price and as the seller was researching the shipping cost when he ran across something about shipping exotic woods. Here is what he told me...[/color]

[color=#141414]Looks like we might have hit a speedbump. According to a few websites I've been looking at for shipping/customs information, it seems there are new CITES regulations come into play this year on export of rare woods etc (even on finished products made before the regulations came into effect), and apparently it's likely that a license would have to be acquired before I could export anything to anywhere outside the EU. I've actually come across this earlier this year when I tried to import a bass from Japan, but I thought it was only rosewood that was the issue - apparently it's quite a few others too unfortunately. I believe it's Wenge that is the issue with this particular bass because it's now been classed as endangered.[/color]

[color=#141414]Does anyone know what's going on with this? I've been looking for this particular bass for quite some time now, and I'd hate for this to be a reason I can't get it. There has to be some way around this...too many basses get shipped across seas for this to be too big of a problem.[/color]

[color=#141414]Please help! What needs to be done so that I can get this bass?[/color][/font][/size]