Why become a member? ×

Flat/Flatter fingerboard radius?

Greg.Bassman

I love the sound of my (fender) jazz, however, I find it a little restrictive in terms of playability. After compromising with it for years, I have only recently learned that a change of radius may be the answer for me.

My main areas of concern:

- The string height unevenness causes me to ‘trip’ over strings as I cross them; meaning that I am unable to move from string to string efficiently during fast runs etc.

- I can’t get the ultra-low action that I require without ‘buzzing/choking. Being a very light player, I prefer my action as low as I can possibly get it; this way, I don’t have to press the fingerboard as hard to fret notes.

I presented this problem to a friend, who explained this is typical of fender style basses; due to its 9.5” curvature. He suggested that a change in radius could be the answer; something flatter (16" or up) would provide a more lower, even experience.

Are there any ‘flat/flatter converts’ that can vouch for this, and if so, what radius inch would you suggest as a good ‘all-rounder’ for someone (like myself) who employs multiple techniques (ie. Slap/tap/chords) in their playing?

Edited by Greg.Bassman

1st - Fretboard radius has no bearing on action height/buzzing & choking. So that's not really a factor here.

2nd - I get what you mean about the different string heights relative to each other - I noticed it more on a 7.5 radius neck but I guess it's still there on a 9.5.

My Warwick is a 12" radius I think. It certainly makes a noticeable difference though you'd have to try to decide what's best for you. I actually preferred the 9.5 but each to their own...

Edited by Lw.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1488928492' post='3253083']
2nd - I get what you mean about the different string heights relative to each other - I noticed it more on a 7.5 radius neck but I guess it's still there on a 9.5.
[/quote]

Hi Lw. Cheers for the feedback. Glad its not just me on that one then lol.

I far prefer the flatter boards of my Sandberg, Yamaha and Warwick basses.

My Fender P has a 9.5" radius and is also very comfy to play; but I can't get on with the 7.25" radius of the vintage styled models. It feels like I have to move my hand more to press down that E and G strings, and can't even see the G if I look down.

Also, I have a Squier CV Jazz that on paper has a 9.5" radius but it looks way more curvier than my US Standard P and wouldn't be surprised if it was a typo and actually 7.25"! I don't get on with this neck and intend to move it on.

I find the 12" Radius on my Maruszcyzcks nice and easy, with no big jump when skipping strings which is always when a tighter radius will trip me up. I had a crack on one of Alan Cringean's glorious creations at the Bass Show last year which has a completely flat board, zero radius, and that was ridiculously easy to play. Obviously they're high class kit so other factors may be involved, but it instantly made me feel like a better player... unfortunately the wife didn't believe me! One day though... one day... :)

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1489074976' post='3254202']
I had a crack on one of Alan Cringean's glorious creations at the Bass Show last year which has a completely flat board, zero radius, and that was ridiculously easy to play. Obviously they're high class kit so other factors may be involved, but it instantly made me feel like a better player... unfortunately the wife didn't believe me! One day though... one day... :)
[/quote]

Alan is a massive fan of zero radius boards, (hence mine), and I find it surprising that other builders have not thought about it. Less work to do in preparing the fingerboard as radiusing is pretty labour intensive.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1489087519' post='3254331']

...I find it surprising that other builders have not thought about it. Less work to do in preparing the fingerboard as radiusing is pretty labour intensive.
[/quote]

I'm sure they have - the radius board weren't just made up at random. Some people do like a flatter board but i image more people like a curve, which is why 9.5 is so popular.

Hi all. This is great feedback, thank you.

The Fender jazz shape and sound is a familiar friend, so I don't want to stray too far from what I'm used to (just a change in radius) - are there any Jazz style basses out there with flat/flatter radius (something 16" or up) that anyone can suggest? OR luthiers that are happy to make me just a neck?