Why become a member? ×

Ibanez & Yamaha 5 Strings

funky8884

I've got a Yamaha BB1025x and an Ibanez BTB33. Both incredibly well built instruments. The Ibanez has a high C instead of a low B but it sounds and feels great to play. The Yamaha is just a beast in every way, and the B string sounds great.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1488973908' post='3253348']
I have the Yamaha BB425 and it is very good indeed. Rock solid, passive P/J with a strong B string. Then you consider how much it costs and it is unbelievable.
[/quote]

I have to agree, can't comment on the Ibby's though.

I use a BB425X and love it for its tone and playability. The B string is a killer for a bass at this price level. I also have a Dean Edge fretless 5 with 35" scale, and that has a superb low B also, especially with Chromes. I bought that for peanuts.

[quote name='funky8884' timestamp='1488971367' post='3253326']
Is it possible to buy a mid range bass and have a solid B string ?
[/quote]

Most definitely yes. I'm waiting for a certain someone with an expensive taste in basses to come along and say otherwise!

I have a 34" scale Warwick Rockbass Streamer V that has the best low B I've ever experienced. Stiff multi-laminate neck and solid construction, it's very defined and piano like. They are worth a fair bit more but I got it from an Italian store for under £280 delivered!

My Yamaha BB has a decent low B too, miles better than the Fenders I've tried, but it doesn't sound as clear and defined as the Warwick.

Edited by dannybuoy

My Ibanez BTB675 is great, really does play beautifully and is extremely versatile. In fact I really only need one 5 string as this could do it all.

Highly recommended (and there's one for sale on this very forum at the mo)