Why become a member? ×

Ultimate plug 'n' play P-bass

anzoid

I'm a fairly recent convert to Fender P-basses (after more than 25 years playing got my first real Fender P-bass a month or two ago). I'm loving the fact that you can swap parts around so easily and there's a huge after-market for P-bass bits. My black P-bass has already had one make-over and I'm lining up another one - it's cheaper than buying a new bass!

One thing I want to do is muck around with different pickups - just for the fun of it, but keeping taking off and putting on the scratchplate is a bit of a chore. So, I'm thinking of using bullet connectors permanently connected to the loom (one of KiOgon's finest...) and then adding connectors to each new set of pickups as they arrive. That way, with a decent length of wire attached to the loom I can just pull the pickups out without having to strip the bass down each time.

The question really is, is this a dumb idea? Am I setting myself up for problems that I've not thought of? Only one I can think of is that something might come loose whilst playing...

Or, are there other suggestions for easy "plug 'n' play" for P-bass pickups?

Bonus question - what gauge wire should I be using from the loom to the connector (if I go that route)?