Why become a member? ×

Pino and Ed Sheeran

NJE

Just found out Pino played bass on Eds new song Castle on the hill, I knew I liked something about that song.

Ed also put Pino in his fantasy band for an article for the Independant a few years ago. He's got good taste, well done Ed.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1489052512' post='3253947']
I don't know why, but I just cannot listen to Ed at all, not any of it. Something really grates me about it. I've got no problem with pop music, but I just don't like his songs at all. I must have poor taste as everyone else seems to praise him.
[/quote]

Yeah, me too - he just screams 'open mic night' to me.

Clearly though, I have no clue.

I'd only heard Ed doing it solo on many TV shows, so I thought I'd actually listen to the recorded version. Much less jam night and with Pino front and centre, which is never a bad thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qp5vcuMIlk

I don't know why, but I just cannot listen to Ed at all, not any of it. Something really grates me about it. I've got no problem with pop music, but I just don't like his songs at all. I must have poor taste as everyone else seems to praise him.
[/quote]

I don't quite get it either. Can't listen to a whole album and find even the hit singles lacking, but just my view. At least he seems to be a credible musician though and not a rags to riches talent show "journey" idiot.

I get it! I also understand why others don't.

ES writes great songs and his records have very high production values.

Our cover band plays one of his songs and it is nicely constructed, good to play from a bass stand point and are very popular with audiences.

[/quote]

Fair enough - taste is just a personal thing. There are no rights & wrongs - just our own individual likes & dislikes.
I like Ed Sheeran personally. Not everything he does, but quite a bit of it. Great to know that Pino was in his "ideal band".
A pop star who recognises (a) a great bass player and (b ) what bass can bring to a song
So many singer / guitarists I have met really don't understand bass at all.......

Edited by Marc S

I have no opinion either way because he has not crossed my musical path. That is no reflection on him at all. However, my daughter is fan and she loves the story aspects of his material. Good on him. And he plays with Pino. He clearly knows what is good.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1489054934' post='3253972']
Yeah, me too - he just screams 'open mic night' to me.

Clearly though, I have no clue.
[/quote]

Thought it was just me, clearly not. I can understand the appeal in the sense he seems more 'authentic' than a lot of the overproduced and manufactured pop so his popularity is a bit of a backlash against the never ending soundalike hits of 'X' featuring 'Y'. However from some of the sycophantic nonsense you'd think he was the first person in the history of music to sit down and perform a song on acoustic guitar that he'd written himself.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1489067734' post='3254126']

He's played for lots of people, including Nick Heyward...
[/quote]

Theres a Top of the Pops where the pair appear together - curiously, no band. Whistle Down The Wind, as I recall.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1489056034' post='3253983']
I'd only heard Ed doing it solo on many TV shows, so I thought I'd actually listen to the recorded version. Much less jam night and with Pino front and centre, which is never a bad thing.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qp5vcuMIlk[/media]
[/quote]

Not a fan of his style of warbling, but he does have an appeal to a lot of folks and his writing style is right up pop alley.
He certainly has done well for himself.

That is one shocking production mix though, a real mid range mess.
Has that happened in the YouTube upload, I wonder ?
:huh:

Edited by lowdown

I have nothing against ES, but I think saying he writes all his own songs is a bit much as like most folk of his ilk these days (Jake Bugg being another) virtually all the songs are co-written with a team of folk. Much like James Blunt as well. I'm sure I read that they all used the same lady who wrote a load of stuff for Pink, but the name escapes me. I suppose this is nothing new, but it's something I think gets lost in the noise of publicity for people.

Whilst I find all the folk I mentioned above make music I don't like, they all seem like folk I'd like to meet and have a laugh with.

Yeah Ed as well as many others, does co-writing sessions with people, one of the big writers at the moment is Ryan Tedder? Who also fronts One Republic. Apparently Ed wrote 12 songs with him, one got used in the album.

I used to have a bit of an issue with these pop stars 'not writing their own material' but in reality they do most of the time, and I don't see how it's any different to having two members in a band write songs together.

For the record I'm not a fan of Ed, I think from what I have seen of him in interviews and read about him that he's a decent chap, but I have never listened to one of his albums.

Edited by NJE

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1489092492' post='3254393']
There are two Ed Sheerans. The Balladeer who's stuff I'm not so keen on...

http://youtu.be/UAWcs5H-qgQ

And the hip hop cross over guy I quite like.

http://youtu.be/ZXvzzTICvJs
[/quote]

I'm quite lucky in that Ed is very good friends with my wife's brother, so I've got to see him a lot. He used to play party's at the in-laws place where he would basically play hip hop covers with just an acoustic and a loop pedal. Even then (he was probably 15) he had something a bit special. Whilst not liking all the stuff he does now I think he's very talented and a nice fella with it.

[quote name='kristo' timestamp='1489094327' post='3254410']

I'm quite lucky in that Ed is very good friends with my wife's brother, so I've got to see him a lot. He used to play party's at the in-laws place where he would basically play hip hop covers with just an acoustic and a loop pedal. Even then (he was probably 15) he had something a bit special. Whilst not liking all the stuff he does now I think he's very talented and a nice fella with it.
[/quote]

There's no doubting the guy's talent.

And I would have loved to have seen one of those early hip hop sets, I honestly think that's the stuff that puts him head and shoulders above all the other 'sensitive guys with acoustic guitars' who seem so popular at the moment.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1489085580' post='3254298']
I have nothing against ES, but I think saying he writes all his own songs is a bit much as like most folk of his ilk these days (Jake Bugg being another) virtually all the songs are co-written with a team of folk. Much like James Blunt as well. I'm sure I read that they all used the same lady who wrote a load of stuff for Pink, but the name escapes me. I suppose this is nothing new, but it's something I think gets lost in the noise of publicity for people.

Whilst I find all the folk I mentioned above make music I don't like, they all seem like folk I'd like to meet and have a laugh with.
[/quote]

Same with the much acclaimed Adele. I heard her recent album was also co-written yet no mention of that at the awards ceremonies.

Did see Pino on morning TV with Ed Sheeran as he is very distinct player as well as his looks. I was more interested in watching Pino and as there was only the 2 of them it was retty god. Can't even remember how the song sounde but Pino was exceptional as always.

Dave

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1489069636' post='3254145']
However from some of the sycophantic nonsense you'd think he was the first person in the history of music to sit down and perform a song on acoustic guitar that he'd written himself.
[/quote]

That's exactly how I feel. When I see documentaries on someone, for instance, Kurt Cobain or the Beatles, writing their own songs from a young age, and not needing a team of corporate writers behind him, it makes me wonder what the fuss is about. 1000s of musicians write their own music and play it on their own. It is braver, I agree, but someone like Jake Bugg, (especially earlier on), is far far better, much better guitarist, etc. I find that ES has basically no catchy guitar parts...at all. Just the same old stuff.

Best of luck to him though....if I could be in his shoes I would be.