Why become a member? ×

Pino and Ed Sheeran

NJE

We were waiting to start a gig at the weekend and a song came on the house pa. Singer/guitar player half knew it, I joined in and bluffed my way through it and had it down in a few bars. The crowd, many of which were ladies, were all singing away and having a great old time. Turns out it was an ES song. Then I heard about his current 'chart rampage' and we may do one of his tunes. People seem to love him. I'm still annoyed at him ripping off Brother Marvin on that terrible song a few years ago but the one I heard at the weekend was OK from a "give them what they want" set list.

Edited by krispn

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1489480157' post='3257206']
I'm still annoyed at him ripping off Brother Marvin on that terrible song a few years ago [/quote]

Hardly a rip off. Thinking Out Loud bears no resemblance to Let's Get It On in the copyrightable bits, the lyrics and melody. These songs are simply not the same. So if you think you can sue over a chord sequence or rhythm then every song written in the last 60 years is a rip off.

This is a smash and grab. An opportunistic attempt to con some cash out of ES, hoping he doesn't want any "bad" publicity.

Not my bag (and a bit miffed about him taking the Sunday slot at Glasto) but fair enough he writes his own songs etc etc.

I do agree there is a lot of hype about him at the moment as if he was the first man to ever write a song but meh, I don't pay too much attention anyways.