Why become a member? ×

Line 6 Helix, Fractal FX8 or AX8 which one do you prefer?

nash

I've considered getting the rack version.

The pros to me are:

If the footcontroller breaks it's cheaper to replace.

No long signal cable (wireless) just the cable to the controller.

Cons:

Can't fly it.
Doesn't have an expression pedal built in.
Initial cost is higher.

It's a tough one.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1489442848' post='3257070']
Oh cmon, you can do better than that Nash!

[/quote]

Do the people who design these things actually use them in real-life gig settings?

I find it difficult enough accurately hitting any of the switches on the second row of my Line6 Shortboard. I can't imagine having the use a third or fourth row unless it was a sit-down performance.

[quote name='nash' timestamp='1489480179' post='3257208']
I've considered getting the rack version.

The pros to me are:

If the footcontroller breaks it's cheaper to replace.

No long signal cable (wireless) just the cable to the controller.

Cons:

Can't fly it.
Doesn't have an expression pedal built in.
Initial cost is higher.

It's a tough one.
[/quote]

Very much my dilemma too.

One thing to consider is the connection between the rack unit and the pedal. Have Line6 gone for something a bit more robust that the standard Cat5e cable with RJ45 connectors that they used previously?

IME these are simply not robust enough to be used in a gigging situation. At one rehearsal and a couple of gigs a week I was getting through a cable every 2-3 months, whereas all my (OBBM) signal cables are still going strong after 6 years of constant use and abuse. In the end I had a couple of special coilable Van Damme Cat5e cables made up with extra robust shrouding on the plugs to protect the locking mechanism (one that breaks the cables are virtually useless), and even so they are getting close to needing to be replaced after 2 years of intensive gigging.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1489491914' post='3257341']

Very much my dilemma too.

One thing to consider is the connection between the rack unit and the pedal. Have Line6 gone for something a bit more robust that the standard Cat5e cable with RJ45 connectors that they used previously?

IME these are simply not robust enough to be used in a gigging situation. At one rehearsal and a couple of gigs a week I was getting through a cable every 2-3 months, whereas all my (OBBM) signal cables are still going strong after 6 years of constant use and abuse. In the end I had a couple of special coilable Van Damme Cat5e cables made up with extra robust shrouding on the plugs to protect the locking mechanism (one that breaks the cables are virtually useless), and even so they are getting close to needing to be replaced after 2 years of intensive gigging.
[/quote]

That's what I like about the Axe FX. It has that Links feature. So you just run a standard XLR cable to the board. No messing.

[quote name='nash' timestamp='1489502686' post='3257474']
That's what I like about the Axe FX. It has that Links feature. So you just run a standard XLR cable to the board. No messing.
[/quote]

It's a pity though that they didn't also use XLRs for the MIDI ports as well.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1489491914' post='3257341']
[/quote]
Yes and no. RJ45 but Ethercon - so a lot more robust!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1489491042' post='3257329']
Do the people who design these things actually use them in real-life gig settings?
[/quote]
They do. If you look at some peoples pedal boards, I would wager that it's a lot more accessible than some of those!

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1489539552' post='3257827']
They do. If you look at some peoples pedal boards, I would wager that it's a lot more accessible than some of those!
[/quote]

I'd always assumed that the pedals wedged in sideways or at the top end of those unfeasibly huge pedal boards were either on a loop controlled from a more assessable part of the board of not needed to be switched on or off mid-performance.

I proved to myself at rehearsal last night that I can't reliably use switches on the second tier of my Line 6 Shortboard when sitting down - never mind standing up - so I'd have no chance with one of those boards!

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1489539397' post='3257826']
Yes and no. RJ45 but Ethercon - so a lot more robust!
[/quote]

Since I had my heavy duty Van Damme Cat5e cables made up, it is looking as though the weak part is probably going to be the cable itself rather than the shrouded connectors.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1489571557' post='3257956']
Since I had my heavy duty Van Damme Cat5e cables made up, it is looking as though the weak part is probably going to be the cable itself rather than the shrouded connectors.
[/quote]
Yes - before ethercon, I made up cat5 cables with a couple bit of stiff heat shrink wrapped around the connector and the cable. As you say, the cable is more likely to go. The problem I have with ethernet cable is that its not very flexible - in that it always seems to coil up somehow and not lay flat.... and it has memory - so any kink in it is pretty permanent. Not tried the Vandamme stuff, whats that like?

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1489573652' post='3257990']
Yes - before ethercon, I made up cat5 cables with a couple bit of stiff heat shrink wrapped around the connector and the cable. As you say, the cable is more likely to go. The problem I have with ethernet cable is that its not very flexible - in that it always seems to coil up somehow and not lay flat.... and it has memory - so any kink in it is pretty permanent. Not tried the Vandamme stuff, whats that like?
[/quote]

The Van Damme cables I've got are supposed to be coilable, and they have been for a couple of years, but recently one of them is starting exhibit the same characteristics as the standard installation Cat5e in that it won't lie flat in some places and it is starting to kink. However they have been a lot more durable in a gigging environment than the standard stuff, and when these fail, if I still have a need for Cat5e cables for live use then I'll happily replace them with the same unless something even more hard wearing has become available in the mean time.