Why become a member? ×

NBD ACG Krell

only4

It's always dangerous going to see Drew at the GBBL

But you know it was worth it when the rest of the band ask you if you're doing something different, because it sounds so much better than usual!

[attachment=240064:FullSizeRender.jpg]

I just need to decide which internal organ to sell next!

What fantastic taste in basses mate, congratulations!
I always loved the way that one turned out too.

As far as internal organs go, just choose one that you have two of, so you can at least enjoy your new purchase for a little while :)

Eude

It can look like a large step to take but once you have an ACG there is no going back. The prices at first glance can appear a bit daunting but there is nothing to touch them pound for pound. When I get the chance to acquire my next bass it will only ever be an ACG.

I run my two through a Barefaced Big Baby two. It's a wicked combination.

The aesthetics of ACGs have never grabbed me, which is a shame given the rep they're building. However, this model is definitely the one that most floats my visual boat. Nice bass...

But I must confess that every time I hear the word Krell this guy pops into my mind...

I must admit, I am seriously thinking about getting a Custom/Uber ACG 4 string built. I have a secondhand ACG Graft Recurve that I love but unfortunately doesn't get played much (not much call for a 5'er in my current 50s RnR band) and I have a Cort B4 that has the old style ACG filter preamp installed - which proves the staggering amount of sounds possible from it.
I think it would be a J-Type but I must admit, I do like the look of the Krell. Is it any good when sitting down?

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1489149367' post='3254757']
Is this it? Some nice close up photos... [url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/portfolio/0201-krell-4/"]http://www.acguitars...o/0201-krell-4/[/url]

"Makore"... not a wood I've come across before.
[/quote]

Yes that's the one.
I understand that Makore is a type of cherry, it does look really nice when the light catches it.

The pre-amp has been changed since those photos were taken it's now fitted with an East Uni 3 stacked knobs.

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1489139700' post='3254623']
I must admit, I am seriously thinking about getting a Custom/Uber ACG 4 string built. I have a secondhand ACG Graft Recurve that I love but unfortunately doesn't get played much (not much call for a 5'er in my current 50s RnR band) and I have a Cort B4 that has the old style ACG filter preamp installed - which proves the staggering amount of sounds possible from it.
I think it would be a J-Type but I must admit, I do like the look of the Krell. Is it any good when sitting down?
[/quote]
[quote name='ead' timestamp='1489151299' post='3254767']
Lovely bass. In my experience the Krell sits very nicely on your lap.
[/quote]

Yes you're right the bass is very comfortable to play sitting down and it balances perfectly on a slippy strap too.

Welcome to the family :) the only trouble with ACGs is that once you pop, you can't stop. Eventually I'd like one of each model give or take haha! No 3 is currently in gestation for me - it's the funky Skelf Short Scale which has appeared in a few of Alan's videos this week :)

Edited by Merton

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1489148175' post='3254735']
Welcome to the ACG family.....
[/quote]
[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1489218373' post='3255207']
Welcome to the family :) the only trouble with ACGs is that once you pop, you can't stop. Eventually I'd like one of each model give or take haha! No 3 is currently in gestation for me - it's the funky Skelf Short Scale which has appeared in a few of Alan's videos this week :)
[/quote]

Thanks for the welcome, I'm really happy with my new bass and can see why addiction could follow!

Welcome to the club! I currently have 2 ACGs. A recurve DC 5 custom and a Finn 4 standard - each is probably the best bass in its class I've ever owned. Previously had a bog standard Recurve Graft 5 which previously belonged to Merton and Black Coffee of this parish and went to Walbassist after me. It sold me on Alan's work. If his "cheap" line of basses was this good, how good must his custom stuff be?

Only one thing that bugs me... is ACGs the correct plural? Should it be ACG? ACGi?

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1489257095' post='3255576']
Welcome to the club! I currently have 2 ACGs. A recurve DC 5 custom and a Finn 4 standard - each is probably the best bass in its class I've ever owned. Previously had a bog standard Recurve Graft 5 which previously belonged to Merton and Black Coffee of this parish and went to Walbassist after me. It sold me on Alan's work. If his "cheap" line of basses was this good, how good must his custom stuff be?

Only one thing that bugs me... is ACGs the correct plural? Should it be ACG? ACGi?
[/quote]

I think the letter stand for AC Guitars, so the plural is within that already :-)

• 4 months later...

Hmmm it looks like you ACG aficionados were right, one is never enough!
I went to see Drew again at the GBBL
This one has a very different sound with the split coil front and stacked coil bridge pickups, also it utilises a modded version of the East P retro pre-amp.

[quote name='naxos10' timestamp='1502006955' post='3348663']
Yep, give in now and just go for one.

Merton, I've got a Skelf short scale (30.75") its a cracking bass.
[/quote]
I did give in, it came home with me!

[quote name='naxos10' timestamp='1502006955' post='3348663']
Yep, give in now and just go for one.

Merton, I've got a Skelf short scale (30.75") its a cracking bass.
[/quote]

Nice! Mine is 32" and is quite frankly the best sounding bass I've ever had and the best 5 string. Not that my 32" Finn 4 or 33" Finn 5 are in any way slouches of course but the Skelf is just perfection :)

[quote name='only4' timestamp='1501887389' post='3348095']
Hmmm it looks like you ACG aficionados were right, one is never enough!
I went to see Drew again at the GBBL
This one has a very different sound with the split coil front and stacked coil bridge pickups, also it utilises a modded version of the East P retro pre-amp.
[/quote]

That's lovely, and split coil/East retro is right up my street. I've loved every ACG I've played, tho the bodies of all but the Krell are a little small for me.

If I wasn't a confirmed Shuker fanboy, I'd have more than one, too. :)

[quote name='only4' timestamp='1489070959' post='3254158']
. . . . you know it was worth it when the rest of the band ask you if you're doing something different, because it sounds so much better than usual!. . . . [/quote]

Excellent. You just know you've made a good choice when that happens.

You're more likely to get that reaction when you try to upgrade rather than just buy something new and shiny!

ACG make very nice basses.