Why become a member? ×

The Rainbow Theatre history

julesb

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1489134664' post='3254545']
Great stuff, thanks for posting.
[/quote]
You're welcome. Unfortunately I never got the chance to go but I remember when it was taken over by the current owners and thought that yet another piece of London's Rock'n'Roll history has been wiped off the map. However, although the music's gone they have now fully restored it to it's former glory and you can pop in whenever you like apparently...

Edited by julesb

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1489159210' post='3254847']
I saw the Beatles there in the 60's. Saw. . . didn't hear a note due to the screaming!!
[/quote]

Very cool.

Makes me wonder why I only went to see punk and reggae related bands there from the late 70's till early 90's, when there was so much other great music going on! Shame on me.

Almost got to play there back in 73. The originals band I was playing guitar in made a local demmo and shlepped off down to London to "Make it" as they use to say. We played the tape to an AR man at Island records and he said "I would like to hear you play live, Ill just give the Rainbow a ring and see if they have a slot open tonight or tomorrow" We were staying two days, sleeping in the van. We just looked in awe at each other. After the call he gave us the bad news, nothing doing, every slot is full. He said he would keep in contact, but, well, you know how it works. Could have been a contender. I bet there are a million stories like that.

I loved that venue, I've got to say and saw some great shows there.

I even was lucky enough to play there in 1980, first on the bill of a special gig headlined by The Stranglers when Hugh Cornwall was in prison and they had loads of guest performers covering his vocal duties. Highlight of the evening though, apart from the after show party, was Joy Division who went on third.. It was something very special!

So many memories there in the 70's. Pink Floyd, Queen, Rod and The Faces, Rory Gallagher. Loads I can't even recall. Went there once with an engineer pal to collect some lighting cables, went under the stage and through a maze of secret corridors in between the outer wall and auditorium to a small hatch-like door and ducked through into the mixing console balcony under the circle and watched Dr Hook one night. Amazing days.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1489213893' post='3255188']
I loved that venue, I've got to say and saw some great shows there.

I even was lucky enough to play there in 1980, first on the bill of a special gig headlined by The Stranglers when Hugh Cornwall was in prison and they had loads of guest performers covering his vocal duties. Highlight of the evening though, apart from the after show party, was Joy Division who went on third.. It was something very special!
[/quote]i was there as an 18 yr old, what band were you in?

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1489436062' post='3256939']
i was there as an 18 yr old, what band were you in?
[/quote]

I was in a three-piece post-punk band called The Soulboyz... I think Sector 27 (or something like that) were next on the bill and then it was Joy Division.

Can't remember if there were any other support acts after that but The Stranglers set was amazing with some brilliant singers standing in for Hugh Cornwall...

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1489473565' post='3257141']

I was in a three-piece post-punk band called The Soulboyz... I think Sector 27 (or something like that) were next on the bill and then it was Joy Division.

Can't remember if there were any other support acts after that but The Stranglers set was amazing with some brilliant singers standing in for Hugh Cornwall...
[/quote]fantastic matey.... very good gig to have under your belt