Why become a member? ×

Suggestions for gear cases please

Dood

A new band job means that I am taking random gear items to rehearsals and of course gigs. I am joining the masses of travelling light and have found that with my bass, cab and a suitable case I can almost carry all my kit in one journey from the motor.

Last night I used a suitcase (I think it's the maximum sized for carry-on aircraft luggage) and managed to get everything I need in, just. Thing is though, it's not built for bass gear. I'll probably tear it to shreds. So I am looking for a similar size case, if not a bit bigger, that I can get all this kit in that is designed for us musos. Actually like that this case has wheels and a pull handle too, that would be a bonus.

Suggestions please and thank you :)

There's Rimowa luggage that's aluminium with wheels but it's mega pricey. For much less money maybe a custom flight case? I tend to use those silver pretend aluminium toolboxes from Maplin/B&Q but no wheels.....

how about one of these? they get pretty good reviews, not super cheap but definitely robust.

http://www.thecasefarm.co.uk/shop/dave/dave-540-s/

i use a thon case, not that light (or wheeled) but very solid

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thon_zubehoercase_54_21_33.htm

Matt

Have you thought about a pelicase? Expensive, but it will have a size for you, they are built for the job, lightweight and have foam inserts.

They are worth the investment, I used to send them all over the world, they never broke.

Edited by andytoad

What about something like a drum hardware box?

Hardcase do loads of different size and shapes, they're not particularly cheap but they do last - our drummer has a couple that have been battered around for years but are still going strong.

I nearly bought the 28 x 10 x 10 inch one for cables, stands etc. but was only put off the the asking price which I think is a lot for what is essentially a glorified Tupperware box :)

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1489097487' post='3254440']
A new band job means that I am taking random gear items to rehearsals and of course gigs. I am joining the masses of travelling light and have found that with my bass, cab and a suitable case I can almost carry all my kit in one journey from the motor.

Last night I used a suitcase (I think it's the maximum sized for carry-on aircraft luggage) and managed to get everything I need in, just. Thing is though, it's not built for bass gear. I'll probably tear it to shreds. So I am looking for a similar size case, if not a bit bigger, that I can get all this kit in that is designed for us musos. Actually like that this case has wheels and a pull handle too, that would be a bonus.

Suggestions please and thank you :)
[/quote]

I'm using an airplain cabin case with trolley for the past 5-6 years and it's still going strong even though it's made of fabric. Something like this:

I can carry my amp, all the cables, spare battery, strap, mic, music sheets and pen, gaffa tape, guitar stand, my pedalboard (5 pedals) and even a micro mic stand if needed. All fit inside, and it has wheels so i don't have to carry it's weight! :)

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1489166938' post='3254939']
I'm using an airplain cabin case with trolley for the past 5-6 years and it's still going strong even though it's made of fabric. Something like this:

I can carry my amp, all the cables, spare battery, strap, mic, music sheets and pen, gaffa tape, guitar stand, my pedalboard (5 pedals) and even a micro mic stand if needed. All fit inside, and it has wheels so i don't have to carry it's weight! :)
[/quote]

In a couple of years you can move onto something like this ? :D

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1489166938' post='3254939']

[/quote]

That's the kinda thing I used the other night, although it looked less chunky than the one pictured. I was a bit concerned it might not take the beating - so maybe this is still the way to go, but just find one made out of decent strong material rather than the rather fetching 'cow print' I was sporting at rehearsal. Pretty but a little flimsy!

Pelican are ace and popular in touring world but aren't cheap. The 1510 is the hand luggage sized model. I've got a Peli knock off from Trifibre.co.uk, cost me £45 inc courier delivery - their equivalent to the 1510 from the Challenger range. I think the model is TR5015. Had it for two years as my main toolbox for audio and backline teching and it's been rock solid. You don't get the lifetime guarantee that Pelican provide, but it's also a quarter of the price!

EDIT:

Here's the link

https://store.trifibre.co.uk/waterproof-wheeled-rolling-travel-equipment-tool-hard-case-pick-and-pluck-foam.html

Fifty quid with the pick and pluck foam insert, or a couple of quid less without. Also, the official Peli 1510 lid organiser fits this too, as do the divider sets etc.

Edited by mike257

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1489172676' post='3255017']

In a couple of years you can move onto something like this ? :D
[/quote]

There are days, like today that the above scenario feels much closer...

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1489173489' post='3255025']
Pelican are ace and popular in touring world but aren't cheap. The 1510 is the hand luggage sized model. I've got a Peli knock off from Trifibre.co.uk, cost me £45 inc courier delivery - their equivalent to the 1510 from the Challenger range. I think the model is TR5015. Had it for two years as my main toolbox for audio and backline teching and it's been rock solid. You don't get the lifetime guarantee that Pelican provide, but it's also a quarter of the price!

EDIT:

Here's the link

https://store.trifibre.co.uk/waterproof-wheeled-rolling-travel-equipment-tool-hard-case-pick-and-pluck-foam.html

Fifty quid with the pick and pluck foam insert, or a couple of quid less without. Also, the official Peli 1510 lid organiser fits this too, as do the divider sets etc.
[/quote]

Oh wow! That looks good!!! I'll take a closer look now!

EDIT:

Here's the link

[url="https://store.trifibre.co.uk/waterproof-wheeled-rolling-travel-equipment-tool-hard-case-pick-and-pluck-foam.html"]https://store.trifib...pluck-foam.html[/url]

[/quote]

wow thanks for that link!

the Dave cases/case farm link i posted are peli clones and a bit cheaper than Peli but i've heard good things from a friend who uses one when caving,

the trifibre cases are super cheap though, i'll be bookmarking that for later.

Matt

No worries guys. I've had mine in and out of vans non stop since I bought it and, aside from having to tighten the bolts holding the wheels on once or twice, I've had no problems. I've got a few friends and colleagues also using them who are equally happy. Ordering another one soon to build a guitar tech workstation in!

• 4 weeks later...

EDIT:

Here's the link

[url="https://store.trifibre.co.uk/waterproof-wheeled-rolling-travel-equipment-tool-hard-case-pick-and-pluck-foam.html"]https://store.trifib...pluck-foam.html[/url]

[/quote]

So!!

I thought I would update my post to let you and everyone know that I did indeed go with this brand. The cases come in three different sizes and I decided that I'd go for the larger of the three. Thinking about it, I could have got away with the mid size, but there you go... anyway, it arrived this morning and I have to say for the money it is superb! There's about £20 worth of foam inside the case alone! The fixtures and fittings are very roadworthy. I like that the handle locks in place; the wheels look like they'll last well on smooth surfaces. (I'm not likely to drag it across a gravel car park!)

Very pleased and I have the option of making some nice neat slots for my amp and IEM kit as well as any pedals to slide in to and known that I'm going to be able to throw this around with no worries for the contents.

Great!

Dan

Glad to hear it! I'm awaiting the arrival of a big one (the 5013) to convert into a backline tech work-case. Going to wind up with LED strips around the inside of the lid, with a tuner, mini-amp and a setlist clip mounted in there, and a guitar neck stand and body rest in the base for restringing, with compartments underneath for tools, strings, spares etc. That's the plan anyway! Hoping to have it all ready before my next tour starts next week, I'll have to stick a photo up if I can get it built in time!