Why become a member? ×

Coffee house gigs top tips/tricks

Callumjord

So in 2 weeks time I'll be playing at an open acoustic night at a local coffee house. Having spoke to the organiser it has been made apparent that myself and another guy on the drum stool thing (I have no idea what it's called) will form an unofficial "backing house band" for the full night. I have never played a gig like this before so I am looking to you guys and girls for some advice and tips. I'll be DI into the pa, what other equipment should I take? What bass? I have a feeling something with flat wounds would be appropriate. Do I just try and sit back, provide some solid bass lines and have more of a "supportive role"?

Is this an "anyone can walk in off the street" open night or are particular people expected to turn up?

Don't worry about your strings, if you can, find out who you'll be backing and get a set list off them so you can get a heads up on the numbers you'll be expected to play. If anyone can just turn up and play. . . well, good luck.

I've seen these nights and you can get a lot of acoustic bedroom players turn up with their "original" songs. It's usually best to let them play unaccompanied.

As someone who plays at acoustic nights and open mics with my "original" songs on a regular basis I can indeed say that house cajon players, bass players etc are incredibly off-putting when they're trying to accompany you on a song they've never heard before.

Definitely a "less is more" situation. Root notes and little walking runs if you are feeling flash. And no one will notice/care what type of strings you've got on. Play what you think will feel/sound good for you.

And, yes, the singers will probably jump at the idea of having a "backing band" but not think about little things like having chord sheets for the backing musos...

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1489137347' post='3254590']
As someone who plays at acoustic nights and open mics with my "original" songs on a regular basis I can indeed say that house cajon players, bass players etc are incredibly off-putting when they're trying to accompany you on a song they've never heard before.
[/quote]

This.
Nothing more annoying than somebody trying to force bass & drums onto a song that was never intended to have them.

* Turn right down and play the fewest number of notes possible

* If the arrangement permits, give it at least a verse before you come in so you know which direction the 'performer' is heading

* Play seated and try very hard not to be noticed (wear subdued clothing and sit as far back as you can)

* Suppress all visible signs of emotion and affect a 'been there, done it' disposition. It will give the 'performer' confidence that you know what you're doing even if you don't.

[color=#faebd7].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

Being able to hack other peoples songs unheard is a learn-able skill. I worked in one of those vanity studios in Nashville occasionally & after a while you only have to hear the first line of ANY of them and you know 99% where the rest is going.
So (grin) the answer is "get out thre and do it"

But while you are learning you probably WILL piss off a lot of rather precious singer songwriters... The good 'uns will either tell you not to play "because this one's tricky" or put up with the odd clunker.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1489248902' post='3255489']
* Turn right down and play the fewest number of notes possible

* If the arrangement permits, give it at least a verse before you come in so you know which direction the 'performer' is heading

* Play seated and try very hard not to be noticed (wear subdued clothing and sit as far back as you can)

* Suppress all visible signs of emotion and affect a 'been there, done it' disposition. It will give the 'performer' confidence that you know what you're doing even if you don't.

[color=#faebd7].[/color]
[/quote]

This. As house bassist and host at several weekly open mics for the last few years. This. Unless you can avoid playing altogether. Then that.