Why become a member? ×

Just been let go by the band and first thing I think is...

KevB

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1489230802' post='3255308']
The set wasnt obscure but it didn't evolve much, lots of potential songs in the genre we were covering but sadly it did show up the singer's limitatons. Not a bad voice but not great either and limited range (needed a second bass tuned down a whole tone as that was the only way she can sing some of the songs, a whole tone lower than originals) so our choices were always compromised. I think the real issues run deeper. They are never wrong and won't listen so any sound issues are met with knee jerk swapping of gear and if the gigs arent so good then swap out a band member, always seem to be looking for a quick fix than working on getting the best from what they have. I thought I might hack it for a couple of years once I'd seen that they hadn't really changed from 8 yrs ago but in the end I was ready to go before we got that far.
[/quote]I only saw you in Rapture for 1 set but it did strike my that your front women lacked charisma, and like you said some songs she sang well others not so well, changing key to accommodate the singers range is nothing new, but sometimes it just doesn't work with a particular singer no matter how you faff about with it, just drop it and move on, we all have to learn to accept out limitations, sounds like the couple in Rapture couldn't do that, after a few gigs its blindingly obvious which songs work and which don't

Yes, Jo is an acceptable singer if the song is right but not a particularly good front person (despite the intervening 8 yrs in the duo which surprised me on rejoining them). The other curious thing in the email was that they finally decided to let me go after they saw me get up and do a few numbers at an open mic and thought I was 'fantastic'. Not sure if it was some sort of back handed compliment or not. I would respond to that by saying that in the jam session I had a monitor that I could actually hear my vox through and was playing with people who respected what I brought to the table. Sadly I think both were a bit lacking in the band. Hey ho, draw a line under it and move on. Not losing sleep over a pub covers band.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1489174670' post='3255038']
So what was the reason you were let go - was your dissatisfaction obvious?

You can't expect everything to be perfect. [/quote]

Exactly!

This is rule number 1 for knowing and understanding how to be in band.

Blue

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1489255007' post='3255552']
Neither of them has a particularly engaging stage presence IMHO. They were probably jealous because you were getting more attention. I'm beginning to realise how common that is!
[/quote]

That's unfortunate.

We have a female front who is also our lead guitarist. She gets all the attention and that's by design, the way it should be. She is the star. A lot of bands like ours , at the local level don't have a star. We're lucky to have one.

Blue

Edited by blue

I miss the gigging but not the frontman ,I'm always looking and have been trying to form my own band but if your not in the clique around these parts forget It i.wouldn't mind but most of then are suffering with delusions of grandeur and are old hippies not for me give me some old punk ,new wave , and some decent music to play ,suppose that make me a young upstart compared to these old tree huggers ,f*** you hippies , but seriously perhaps we should form our own basschat band imagine that hundreds of bass players from around the globe as a collective how cool would that be just drums and bass like royal blood but on a massive scale👍🎸

Edited by kevvo66

Guest gazzatriumph

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1489261860' post='3255621']
I miss the gigging but not the frontman ,I'm always looking and have been trying to form my own band but if your not in the clique around these parts forget It i.wouldn't mind but most of then are suffering with delusions of grandeur and are old hippies not for me give me some old punk ,new wave , and some decent music to play ,suppose that make me a young upstart compared to these old tree huggers ,f*** you hippies
[/quote]

+1 to that

I play bass to gig. I rarely plug the thing in if I'm not in a band and that suits my approach. I'm also getting on a bit (58) and sadly I find there's fewer options around for joining a band of team players; people who put the music first and leave personal agendas/egos at home.
I've also seen bands that throw in the odd obscurity which if you're billed as a covers band is unacceptable. The downside is playing Sex on Fire et al but we're entertainers first and foremost.