Why become a member? ×

NAD - WT550 (Oldy But Goldy!)

Danuman

Hi all,

Yesterday I picked up an old Eden WT550.
It definitely looks like it's been around the block a few times, but it sounds in fine working order. Upon testing it with my function band (in which I actually play ye olde stratte - gasp!), it turned out to have a real nice flavour and punch for days... It occupied exactly the right sonic space within the context of the band. Hopefully it'll also prove to be able to take on my rather louder blues band!

Now all I've left to do is find a proper case... the rack ears seem hard to come by. Anybody know of any viable alternatives?

Probably my all time favourite amp. So much natural tone and virtually bomb proof.
You should be able to make some rack ears pretty simply. If you search eBay for Aluminium Angle Brackets and find some close to the size you need, ie width of case - width of amp divided by 2 and you should be able to cobble some together. Aluminium is pretty eaty to cut/file down.
I did this with a MarkBass amp but managed to find brackets that weren't pre-drilled.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/38mm-Aluminium-HD-Angle-Corner-Shelf-Brackets-Strong-Will-Not-Rot-or-Rust-/111928546549?var=410879744175&hash=item1a0f7614f5:m:mEW45s55juIDjNL7nL912Ew

Other option is if you have a steel fabricators handy, they should be able to sort you out.

I used to use a couple of Eden cabs and an Eden WT300 years ago, they were built like tanks and sounded incredible. I remember when Eden stuff had a serious prestige about it and were pretty desirable. They're a sort of "do everything well" brand that focus on quality. Not really been a fan of the newer stuff but the older stuff is really really nice. Fat, warm and gutsy but the cabs were pretty heavy if I remember correctly. Congrats on the purchase, I'm sure it will serve you very well indeed.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1489140151' post='3254631']
A WT550 is an itch I'll have to scratch one day. Played through one once a very long time ago and never forgot it. Superb amp.
[/quote]

I know exactly what you mean. :)

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1489140204' post='3254632']
Probably my all time favourite amp. So much natural tone and virtually bomb proof.
You should be able to make some rack ears pretty simply. If you search eBay for Aluminium Angle Brackets and find some close to the size you need, ie width of case - width of amp divided by 2 and you should be able to cobble some together. Aluminium is pretty eaty to cut/file down.
I did this with a MarkBass amp but managed to find brackets that weren't pre-drilled.
[/quote]

I sort of guessed, but it's nice to know this can be done! I suppose finding the right screws to attach them will be the tricky part...

[url="http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/266505-Eden-Amplification-USM-KITS-70459"]http://www.fullcompa...-USM-KITS-70459[/url]

Have you tried speaking to Marshall themselves? - they're usually pretty good. They may have some or know how to get hold of them?

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1489154661' post='3254794']
[url="http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/266505-Eden-Amplification-USM-KITS-70459"]http://www.fullcompa...-USM-KITS-70459[/url]

Have you tried speaking to Marshall themselves? - they're usually pretty good. They may have some or know how to get hold of them?
[/quote]

Thank you for the link and the very sensible advice!

• 2 weeks later...

Welp, looks like I'm out of luck. Full Compass won't bother shipping overseas and despite an initial, good natured but kind of weird reply from Eden all communication's dried up.

Thanks for the suggestions, though. Back to the ol' drawing board.

Hopefully I'll be able to track down some measurements so I might have some made.

Well, it took a reminder, but this morning I received a reply from Eden, who had contacted their dealer. Sadly, they can't help me either, but at the end of the day it was very nice of all of them to try to help out.

Edited by Danuman

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1489154661' post='3254794']
[/quote]

Well, it didn't seem to pan out, but last week after communication with Eden ended, I suddenly received an email from Marshall, saying they were willing to send me a pair of rack mounts free of charge. And so they have. :)

Class A service for a long since discontinued product. What a lucky break.

So thank you Marshall for the kind gesture and thank you EBS_freak for putting the idea in my head. :)

Edited by Danuman