Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot combo head swap

fleabag

Is it possible to swap heads on TE combos for a bigger job ?

EG, 150 watt head in my GP11 MK V 4x10, for the AH500 or something similar ? Would it have to be an amp taken from another combo or will the stand alone heads slot in ?

Cheers

Edited by fleabag

You can replace one head from one combo for anther head of another combo. I've done this in the past as i had a GP12 head in a 1x15" cab and wanted to use it in a 2x12+H cab so i bought a GP7 SMX 2x10 combo and swapped heads, they fit perfectly. I ended using the empty 1x15" combo as an extension speaker too.

If you want to use a rack head i'm affraid it'll only fit in the combo with some woodwork involved as they are shorter in width. There are some standalone head models that are higher than the standard combo heads also.

Of course you have to keep in mind that putting the AH500 in the GP11 combo you may be overpowering the speakers as thay are designed to run the 150W head. Check all the wattages and impedances from cabs and drivers first.

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1489160976' post='3254866']
Is it possible to swap heads on TE combos for a bigger job ?

EG, 150 watt head in my GP11 MK V 4x10, for the AH500 or something similar ? Would it have to be an amp taken from another combo or will the stand alone heads slot in ?

Cheers
[/quote]won't you have to upgrade the speakers too?

Thanks !

I'm only curious at this point, but it has crossed my mind. I'm not totally sure, but the combos heads didnt seem to get much bigger than 300 watts ?

Probaly not worth effort in that case. And yes, if i could muscle a 500 or 600 watt head in, i have four 10" Beymas i could fit, but then i suppose i would need to think about cab volume for those, and no doubt the cab would need modifying to use the 4 200 watt Beymas

Its already looking like trouble :)

Probably just leave it alone

Edited by fleabag

I have a couple of 300W TE heads - I've found them to be plenty loud enough for most situations into 8ohms - louder than, say, TC Electronic RH750 or GenzBenz Streamliner 600, which were the class Ds I had at the time.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1489221050' post='3255228']
I have a couple of 300W TE heads - I've found them to be plenty loud enough for most situations into 8ohms - louder than, say, TC Electronic RH750 or GenzBenz Streamliner 600, which were the class Ds I had at the time.
[/quote]Trace Elliot watts are twice as loud as normal watts (probably more than that compared to class D watts), my AH200 is easily as loud as my Fender Rumble 500, we're going into the recording studio next week and the engineer said "I see from photos you use a Fender Rumble, I've got a Laney head and may be able to borrow an Ampeg" to which I replied "I use a Trace Elliot SMX, just use the Rumble as an extension cab)", "Great he said, bring that along" :)

I would say then, that if 10 times the power for a 150 watt combo is 1500 watt to hear doubling of perceived volume, then a 300 watt head isnt going to achieve much. And since only another combo head would fit, a 300 watt head is about all i could fit. Of the classic combos by TE, i dont think they got any bigger than that

So, i guess ithings are best left as they are :)

Email from Clive Button today

[i]At the time your combo was made Trace Elliot only produced combos in 150 watts, either 1 x 15 or 4 x 10 as you have so it is not possible to swap out your pre-amp/output amp section for one of higher power.[/i]
[i]The other option is to replace all speakers with 16 Ohms ones and wire them all in parallel to produce a 4 Ohm load.[/i]
[i]So sorry, generally not a lot of help to you. Maybe using a higher wattage external power amp run from one of the Line Out sockets on the front panel may be the answer as the 4 x 10 speakers could certainly handle more than 150 Watts.[/i]

That kind of settles things

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1489230678' post='3255307']
I would say then, that if 10 times the power for a 150 watt combo is 1500 watt to hear doubling of perceived volume, then a 300 watt head isnt going to achieve much. And since only another combo head would fit, a 300 watt head is about all i could fit. Of the classic combos by TE, i dont think they got any bigger than that

So, i guess ithings are best left as they are :)
[/quote]

Don't know of they're from the same era but my old 300w trace combo could drive out another 200w through an extension speaker making 500 tracewatts. If it wasn't for the horrific weight I'd have kept that rig forever