Why become a member? ×

Faulty Ampeg BA115HP

gs_triumph

Hi,

I have the above amp which has today developed a fault.

When using the -15db input the volume started going from quiet to loud, back n forth for about two minutes, there was a bit of crackling and slight breakup. None of the controls on the amp made any difference to the volume issue so I'm ruling out dirty pots.
Now it's seems stuck at a very low output and slightly broken up.
The 0db input works perfectly.

Any of you technical wizards got any idea what could be up?

Obviously I can run the amp using the other input so it's not a really big deal in the short term. I can still use it.
Wondering whether it would be worth repairing it or just keep running it as is until it dies or I replace it.

Cheers.

This is a guess but probably a faulty jack socket. The -15dB pad is probably switched on by inserting the jack plug. The signal inputs tend to be self cleaning in that each time you put a plug in, the friction keeps the contacts clean. The switch contacts are not touched by the plug and so are not kept clean. You can get contact cleaner at Maplin although the best stuff to use is Deoxit, available from Amazon. It does mean opening the amp though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, not sure if this is the same amp but when I was looking a few years ago there were a number of SS Ampeg 1x15 combos up for sale marketed as having been "repaired", and I saw and tried one in Bassdirect as well which had been repaired. It suggests there was some issue with them, but that it was fixable!

[quote name='Jakester' timestamp='1490092792' post='3262040']
Hmm, not sure if this is the same amp but when I was looking a few years ago there were a number of SS Ampeg 1x15 combos up for sale marketed as having been "repaired", and I saw and tried one in Bassdirect as well which had been repaired. It suggests there was some issue with them, but that it was fixable!
[/quote]

I think that maybe referred to a hum that they develop. Not sure what the fix is but it rings a bell from previous googling about the amp.

Edited by gs_triumph