Why become a member? ×

Unplugged EUB volume

Dorisandjess

Hello
I was fortunate to buy a Cetus EUB from forum member Eubassix (who was remarkably helpful and friendly) I have little experience with this kind of instrument, that said I suspect that I will be hard pushed to find a significantly better quality bass in this niche. Unfortunately I am finding that the unplugged volume is restricting my capacity for home practice. Is this a result of the semi hollow Carbon fibre body, or is it an unavoidable consequence of exciting such substantial strings?
I have considered an NS bass as an alternative, but unless it is significantly quieter I would rather stick with the Cetus as it looks so unbelievably bad ass. Thoughts, hints and tips would be greatly appreciated.
Steve

Can't comment on a Cetus, but I had a Stagg which had a headphone socket otherwise I would have had to plug into an amp. If your amp has a headphone socket you could go that route but I'd doubt any EUB is designed to be loud enough to practice acoustically based on my Stagg experience (unless you are in a quiet room!)

I think the issue here is that the Cetus is actually a semi-acoustic instrument meaning it's too loud to be played comfortably for late night practice whilst the rest of the household sleeps.

I had a Stagg EUB and that was virtually silent when unplugged (or as near to silent as you are going to get) whereas the KK Baby Bass is loud enough to be heard throughout the house in the dead of night.