Why become a member? ×

Hello from Haringey

AnthonyS

Hi,

I signed up on Basschat at the Bass Guitar show at Olympia in London last week. I used to play bass in a band in my school days but that was 40 years ago (I hardly believe it myself!) and now something moves me to start again. I play accoustic and electric guitar, mainly for myself, at home, accompanying blues/blues-rock kinda stuff, but also get together a couple of times a month with a bunch of friends and jam, mainly folk and americana.

I'll be very grateful for some advice on what to buy (the SG copy I had at school is long gone). I don't want to break the forum rules, so I'll post on the Bass Guitars and the Amps and Cabs boards.

Looking forward to spending some time and learning on this forum, and thanks in advance :)

Hey Anthony

Welcome to the Forum

Dangerous to ask what to buy...there are as many opinions as there are members...set yourself a budget and look in the "For sale" section - you'll find tones of great stuff, most below market prices.

Next decide what's your priority, a particular style of bass (Jazz/Precision/small body?) or performance (passive/active) - lots of good basses are not always "popular" - check our the Yamaha offerings - good basses but not always fancied - Fenders are the perennial favourites amongst most (not me), Musicman and G&L also popular. My preference for a budget bass would be a Bass Collection Nanyo - normally below £150, if you want to try some gear (any of my 13 basses) and don't mind a trip out to the suburbs, fire me off a PM. If you're still undecided by June /July pop along to the next Herts Bass Bash and try whatever's available here.

Mick

Edited by TheGreek