Why become a member? ×

Amp, mixer, turntable issue - any ideas what to check next?

[color=#141414][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Hi forum[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Please help me with problem.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Set up overview: 2x 1210s with Shure M44-7 carts on Technics headshell, DJM 600 mixer, Marantz PMA4200, Q acoustics speakers. Chromecast Audio (in MD port). DJM master out into amp AUX.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]I am only getting sound out of the right speaker. If I swap the leads in the mixer red into white and vice versa, I get sound only in left.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]I changed cable, same situation.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]I put chromecast into AUX, glorious stereo! [/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]I put master out from mixer into MD only right speaker.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]If I put headphones into mixer, stereo in headphones but only right in speaker.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]If I put headphones into amp, only hear right speaker of headphones and only right speaker of main speaker.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]So I know my carts are perfect, just new. I tried my old Concorde carts, same issue presents itself.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Cables checked...[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]What could this be and how next can I check, I'm stumped![/font][/color]

Hi Howie

Thanks for the reply.

Nope, all in the middle. The headphone test is whats getting me. The sound into the mixer from the turntables when monitoring with headphones is perfect, but I can only hear out of one channel on the speakers at the same time.

If I then jack the headphones into the amp headphone port I can only hear one headphone speaker, and one external speaker.

Im deducing something is happening the signal @ the amp to give only mono.

The input (AUX) is fine as I ten jacked in a Chromecast audio into the AUX input ont he amp and both headphones and speakers are perfect.

The amp doesn't seam to like the signal from the mixer and is only allowing mono as far as I can see - what could cause this??

There's something wrong with the mixer output - you've proved this when you swapped the interconnect round with red to white and vice versa. The amp is fine because you've proved that by swapping the mixer and Chromecast over. You've got two decks feeding two phono inputs and I assume both decks both produce output on the same single channel only so it's unlikely to be a problem on the input side. What happens if you feed the Chromecast into a spare line in on the mixer? I suspect you'll once again only get one channel out - it's all pointing to some configuration issue or fault with the mixer master out to me.

from a quick google it seems that the Marantz amp has a phono stage built in, so i'd try the decks one at a time into that, if it's all perfect stereo then the problem is in the DJM. have you tried the booth output or the record output on the djm? (i'm assuming that its the pioneer mixer i found via google)

are you actually dj'ing with this setup? if not then i'd consider a simple phono preamp to run one of the decks and use the amps phono stage for the other. i run 2 decks so i can leave one at 45rpm and the other at 33rpm, i run each into a separate phono preamp a into 2 channels of my amp.

matt

Edited by Matt P