Why become a member? ×

Octave Up pedals

indiegrungesound

[quote name='indiegrungesound' timestamp='1489243003' post='3255424']
Can anyone help recommend any Octave Up pedals that are cheaper than the EHX Micro POG?
[/quote]

what is it that you want to achieve sound wise? as a dirty octave up i love the tentacle from eqd, but if you want clean and really good tracking then i used to have the ehx pitchfork which i think is cheaper than the pog and has alot more sounds in it. cant say ive tried the tc but with the toneprint thats got a crap tone of sounds available.

The TC is obviously a good shout, especially at used prices.
Or if you can find a Mooer Tender Octaver, usually about £55. They're basically a POG clone. Rare though as EHX kicked up a stink and now no-one sells them lol

Si

Ta for the feedback folks
To clarify why I've been looking for an octave pedal, in an earlier thread on here, I stated that I wanted to experiment with a guitar amp & bass amp set up a la Royal Blood/Slaves/Drenge. I have a Boss ME-50B pedal, which has stereo outputs. The planned guitar output would have the octave pedal on the up setting permanently, but switched on & off by a line selector pedal.
I DID look for a Mooer Tender Octaver, but none of the music shops I've looked at in Manchester stock them. I actually purchased a Rowin Octopus pedal, assuming it was a Mooer clone/copy (£45 as opposed to £178 for a Nano POG.). It sounded awful! The octave up setting was too synthy AND sounded as if it was half a step out of tune-with iffy tracking(I swapped it for a Reverb pedal for my six string, which is brilliant sounding!)!
So basically, the options I have are as follows:
(1) Boss OC-2/OC-3 Super Octave:
I saw 1 of these in a second hand shop as well as full price in Dawson's & PMT. Not quite sure how it'd work mind of if it does octave up.
(2) Behringer US600 Ultra Shifter/Harmoniser:
Renowned Boss Clone of the FS-6 Harmoniser. I've seen YouTube demos where it's only slightly lags behind a Micro POG in quality/tracking. Will be cheaper, but I can't find it in stock in any of the shops I've been to.
(3) EHX Nano POG:
Bite the bullet and go for the still dear but cheapest legit POG pedal. It's got clearly laid out dials/controls and should therefore do the job it's made for.
(4) EHX Octavix:
Now I know this is a curveball option, as it's actually a Hendrixesque Fuzz pedal. However, it appears to have an octave up switch, so I'm tempted to try this. It's also £90-£100 cheaper than the Nano POG!

Just so you all know, I'm not discounting the TC Electronic Sub'n'Up of the Earthquake Devices Tentacle. I just haven't seen them in any of the shops nearby and I assume they'll be over £100 (Happy to be told otherwise!).

I've got a Mooer Tender Octaver - think it came from China, via Ebay IIRC. I doubt you'll track one down elsewhere unless second hand. I've not had an octave up before so don't quite know how it compares with others.

It tracks well, sounds a little artificial in isolation but works well in a band setting and with some flange/chorus/fuzz or whatever - I like that you can control the level of your dry signal and both the octave up and down and find I'm using it more than I thought I might.

Worth noting that the OC-2/OC-3 is not octave up, only octave down.
Most 'Octave Fuzzes' are an analogue octave up (as opposed to digital octave up like the POGs of this world), analogue octave ups are notoriously subtle, especially in a band mix. The Earthquaker Tentacle is one such analogue octave up fuzz.
The TC is obviously a digital pedal and does a proper octave up. The Mooer Tender Octaver is digital and basically a clone of a POG (controversially so, hence their rarity now), Amazon.de is the only place I can see them now:

[url="https://www.amazon.de/Mooer-Tender-Octaver-Guitar-Effekte/dp/B0111T01N4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489406709&sr=8-1&keywords=Mooer+Tender+Octaver"]https://www.amazon.de/Mooer-Tender-Octaver-Guitar-Effekte/dp/B0111T01N4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489406709&sr=8-1&keywords=Mooer+Tender+Octaver[/url]

Si

[quote name='indiegrungesound' timestamp='1489522714' post='3257682']
Thanks for the feedback regarding how the Boss OC-2/OC-3 works!
I think I might do a bit more research on TC Electronic's Sub'n'Up first too. But it's looking more likely that I might end up pulling the trigger on a Nano POG!
[/quote]

Gonna suggest you look at the EHX PitchFork instead of the Nano POG. Cheaper and a LOT of extra features to play with. I have a PitchFork and a POG 2. I had to get the POG2 because like you, I am addicted to trying to reproduce Mike Kerr's sound. Frankly, both EHX's sound the same to me. And for the price compared to the micro/nano POG, I just love having the extra features on the PF. It is a blast to play around with.

But back to RB, I also have the Harmonist (only 1 for now) and even the same Gretsch Jr Jet. Now I don't have a Strymon Flint or ZVex Mastotron (yet), but I don't think either pedal is likely to be a magic cure. I have several OD/fuzz/distortion pedals (as well as Trem/Rev on the second guitar chain to simulate the Strymon) that I've been layering in there--even tried running it into a Marshall DSL for extra grit, and unfortunately, to me, the octave up is still synthy. I can't seem to dial it out. So if you figure it out, with whatever pedal you settle on, please pass it on! :)

In the meantime, sink your teeth into the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/223363-royal-blood/"]Royal Blood[/url] thread, and pay special attention to posts by @pitchard, as he seems to have nailed it somehow. He has quite a few YouTube videos covering RB tunes, and they are pretty awesome.

Edited by azfatboy

[quote name='azfatboy' timestamp='1489698990' post='3259125']

Gonna suggest you look at the EHX PitchFork instead of the Nano POG. Cheaper and a LOT of extra features to play with. I have a PitchFork and a POG 2. I had to get the POG2 because like you, I am addicted to trying to reproduce Mike Kerr's sound. Frankly, both EHX's sound the same to me. And for the price compared to the micro/nano POG, I just love having the extra features on the PF. It is a blast to play around with.

But back to RB, I also have the Harmonist (only 1 for now) and even the same Gretsch Jr Jet. Now I don't have a Strymon Flint or ZVex Mastotron (yet), but I don't think either pedal is likely to be a magic cure. I have several OD/fuzz/distortion pedals (as well as Trem/Rev on the second guitar chain to simulate the Strymon) that I've been layering in there--even tried running it into a Marshall DSL for extra grit, and unfortunately, to me, the octave up is still synthy. I can't seem to dial it out. So if you figure it out, with whatever pedal you settle on, please pass it on! :-)
[/quote]

Thanks for your feedback good sir! I DID consider the Pitchfork. Unfortunately, by the time I've read your post, I'd already bitten the bullet and purchased the Micro POG!

Having taken the time to trial it instore and at home, I'm very pleased with it! It's tracking is smooth, the octave shifts aren't out of key like the Rowin Octopus was and-to my ears-works beautifully with overdrive on my boss ME-50B or having my guitar amp distorted (It's only through a Hi-Watt practice amp mind, but by God it's fun! B-)). Also, I was happy to so without any extra features that The Pitchfork has. And it wasn't quite as dear as I thought it was going to be (£172 + £5 for a daisy chain adaptor extension lead, which is still under £180 AND-if my memory serves me right-cheaper than just the pedal at Dawsons.).

This purchase could prove to be very useful indeed.

Thanks again for all the feedback folks!:-)