Why become a member? ×

Assistance with choosing a new bass

AnthonyS

I've always wanted a Fender and, returning to the bass after a 40 year gap (I had an SG copy I played when I was at school), I've narrowed my choice (for a new rather than 2nd hand) down to an Aerodyne Jazz or a American Professional Jazz. I've tried both, in two shops, but - might be something to do with my hearing and my declining years - I am finding it hard to figure which will be best for me.

I'll be playing mainly at home for my own pleasure, although I get together a couple of times a month with some friends and jam. I bring along either my accoustic or electric and am looking forward to coming with a bass. I like blues/rock and a bit of country and americana, and, as much of my playing will be in the front room of a terraced house, it will be important to get good tone at low volumes.

Your advice and suggestions will be much appreciated - thanks!

I can't help with the Aerodyne but if you are considering an American Pro you should be aware that they have only recently superseded the American Standard series. There are very few changes between them, and the Standards are still available for a decent saving over the Pro.

Pick the one that is the most comfortable to play, you can always change the pickups to suit your personal sonic tastes later if you find something lacking. As pineweasel says, see if you can try an American Standard (it won't be hard), you'll save a few £s for a bass which is ostensibly the Professional.

Thank you for the feedback. In the end I bought the Aerodyne, partly because it was 2/3 the cost of a new American Professional (I do take the point about the Standard), but also because the neck felt smaller in my hand - which is important for me because I have a touch of carpal tunnel syndrome. So far, very pleased, and as a surprise by-product which I hadn't anticipated, I've started to get into funk!

[quote name='AnthonyS' timestamp='1490098702' post='3262123']
Thank you for the feedback. In the end I bought the Aerodyne, partly because it was 2/3 the cost of a new American Professional (I do take the point about the Standard), but also because the neck felt smaller in my hand - which is important for me because I have a touch of carpal tunnel syndrome. So far, very pleased, and as a surprise by-product which I hadn't anticipated, I've started to get into funk!
[/quote]Sounds like a good choice all round; nice one. However, there is a rule here on BC; no pics=didn't happen :D