Why become a member? ×

A small combo for home use

AnthonyS

I'm new to Basschat and, returning to the bass after a 40 year gap (I had an SG copy I played when I was at school), I've asked for some help choosing an instrument on another board.

I'll also need an amp/speaker for use in my front room, something which I will be able to get a nice tone from at low-ish volume, so I'll be very grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Since 1 year I've had a TCE BG250-208. Small footprint, manageable weight, built in tuner and with the Toneprint loaded with Spectracomp everything I need in 1 package. But, there's lots of good, small amps out there, best listen to a few.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1489274695' post='3255741']
Budget?
Roland Bass Cube 30 are decent at home volume for not too much, especially 2nd hand.
[/quote]

+1 Yes a great amp and very good 2nd hand prices of late.

Another vote for the Roland microcube series. I have one of the smallest ones on loan from a mate after I repaired it for him (batteries had leaked) and I am amazed by the sound of it for such a small package. I want one even though I have no real use for it.

The best combination of power, portability and price I have come across is the Ibanez Promethean 3110: 300W with a 1 x 10 speaker, aux input and headphone out if you need to practice in "stealth mode", but also has enough clout to hold its own at full band rehearsals, particularly if connected to an extension cab. It can't compete with my 500W Markbass AC 121-lite combo for gigs, in terms of sound quality or power, but the Markbass combo is quite a step up in price. However, for practice at home with the flexibility to "grow" into use at full band rehearsals, the Promethean IMHO ticks all the boxes.

My practice setup is:

[b]Pignose[/b] for six string guitar. No effects or gimmicks, played clean it shows up your shortcomings on string bends, dodgy chords etc. If you sound good through a Pignose you are 'there'

[b]Blackstar Fly Bass[/b] for bass. Like the Pignose it it an incredibly simple and very small amplifier that is ideal for use when jamming along to music on your hi-fi system. Loud enough without being a family irritant.

If used within the volume limitations, these little amps are simply perfect for home use.

The Roland microcube is remarkably good for the size, weight and price. Lots of different sounds and some of them quite good. SO nearly bought one a number of times.

Rumbles are very light for the power and size but having only lifted, not played, can't really comment. The ash down equivalents aren't bad either ( so long as the awful octave halver is OFF).

my sub 20lbs pjb flightcase is a lot better in terms of sound quality and giggability tho - pretty much a proper full sized amp in a tiny light box.

Depends very much on what yr budget is and how anal you are about that "hi fi" sound quality ( me = doubtless too much ;-) l

Edited by NickA

I'm using A PJB DoubleFour. It's 75 watts with 2 x 4" drivers. It's ridiculously small, like a shoebox. The sound is clean and uncoloured, you really get to hear the natural sound of the bass through it.

Thanks for all your replies. I think it will be a while before I go gigging, but in any case, I found a 2nd hand Orange Crush 50 BXT. I've nothing to compare it with, but so far, it seems to do the job. It's got a quarter inch headphone jack which will be interesting to try once I've found an adapter. Cheers

[quote name='AnthonyS' timestamp='1490099169' post='3262127']
Thanks for all your replies. I think it will be a while before I go gigging, but in any case, I found a 2nd hand Orange Crush 50 BXT. I've nothing to compare it with, but so far, it seems to do the job. It's got a quarter inch headphone jack which will be interesting to try once I've found an adapter. Cheers
[/quote]
Sounds like a result. Happy jamming!

I got the SWR workingman 10 combo. Discontinue now but can be found used. Is 80watt combo with a internal 8ohm 10" speaker. This little combo is very loud for its size. It got headphone and DI out too. I use it for small gig with no PA support or use this as stage monitor and DI to PA. I found it this amp is what I really want and I don't massive amp. Also it handle the low B very well too.