Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton

isteen

Anyone Got one of those cheap HB basses?
Thinking of getting a really cheap (half price of the Squier) Harley Benton fretless jazz bass, and replicerer tuners and perhaps pickups. Any first hand experience with them?

Edited by isteen

[quote name='isteen' timestamp='1489272507' post='3255717']
Anyone Got one of those cheap HB basses?
Thinking of getting a really cheap (half price of the Squier) Harley Benton fretless jazz bass, and replicerer tuners and perhaps pickups. Any first hand experience with them?
[/quote]

Like a few mentions before, I've got one and modding it in a build diaries thread. Great basses for the money. I grabbed a 5 string deluxe P. First move was strings and hardware. Just waiting on one of the pickups to arrive in the post. They're great project basses.

I have two different HB bases.

The Jazz bass with the Wilkinson bridge is fine. I'm not a massive fan of the pick-ups but let's put that down to taste rather than a real problem of any kind.

The 'Progressive' bass however is a bit more problematic. Some very rough edges, electronics that are a bit nasal sounding and the bridge is poorly made so that the saddles don't fit in the slots properly, making them very very difficult to intonate properly.

I guess the lesson here is go with the slightly more expensive version with the Wilkinson hardware rather than HB's own stuff.

Edited by Naetharu