Why become a member? ×

Passive and 5 strings?

Pinball

What would people recommend and why?

Added note: The reason I ask is that I played one of the new Fender Pro series P5's a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was really nice and couldn't think of many other passive 5's. I would be interested to hear what others are playing.

Edited by Pinball

My passive Mike Lull PJ5 is under 9 lbs, well balanced, has an effortless neck with great sounding custom SD pickups. This is one of the best basses I've played. With my new TI flats it's getting good comments from bands and audiences.

I agree with the comment on the Squier VM P. Had one years ago and they're brilliant basses. Nice and light too. I've Currently got a Harley Benton deluxe P 5 string (which too is passive) and again, fantastic bass but a tad heavier than the Squier.

I love my Maruszcyzck Jake P5+. The B String is great, it just feels and sounds like all the other strings. It has a P type and a humbucker in the bridge, and I had them put a pan pot in rather than individual volume controls. Between that and a really effective tone control I find it just as flexible for my purposes as my actives.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1489315029' post='3255891']
The Sire basses have a passive mode. Just leave the actives switched out and you've got a passive 5 string Jazz.
[/quote]
I have a few that work well like that myself...including a G&L L1505 and an amazing sounding Bass Collection Nanyo with humbuckers. I didn't know they did one like this until I picked it up BIN of ebay Pic below

[attachment=240296:Nanyo1.jpg]

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1489309347' post='3255834']
I love my Maruszcyzck Jake P5+. The B String is great, it just feels and sounds like all the other strings. It has a P type and a humbucker in the bridge, and I had them put a pan pot in rather than individual volume controls. Between that and a really effective tone control I find it just as flexible for my purposes as my actives.
[/quote]

I'm that predictable that this is what I was going to recommend.

I had a Dingwall ABZ5 and it was very good across the range but it was a bit polite for me. In hindsight I wish I had tried a pickup change as the basic sound and response of the bass was great.

I've got a passive Yamaha Attitude Standard 5 which is excellent and great value for money, and I often use my Marleaux in passive mode.

• 2 weeks later...

I played my Lull PJ5 with roundwounds for a couple of weeks and it sounded good, but something was missing. I was comparing it to Happy Jack's Lull P bass which sounded better!!

Then I put a set of flats on and discovered [i]the[/i] sound.

Reluctantly putting the Squier MB-5 up for sale as string spacing is just a bit too narrow for my digits.

On the upside have found a new Squier VM Precision V (made in 2016??? - thought they were discontinued a year or two back) which is really rather nice.

The Joe Osborn 5 i've had was very sweet bass. like a real Jazz but 35" and a bit sexier. my favourite was a Squier Precision Special V (jazz pups) with upgraded guts (CTS/Orange drop) and Sadowskys Noise Canceling Singles!!
Both with some Heavy Respectable Bs!!