Why become a member? ×

Sims LED

NancyJohnson

Anyone had these retrofitted to a bass? Just thinking about side dots (9 in total) on one bass (my Lull)...I was struggling to see where I was at a particularly dark stage last night.

If you've had them done, would like an honest opinion...usual concerns; neck damage during installation, battery life, type of battery (and location thereof). Did you have a switch installed for on/off?

Thanks
P

Have you looked at [url=http://www.luminlay.com]Luminlay[/url]? I had them fitted to my Warwick Starbass for exactly the same reason and they have been great. IIRC it cost £50 to have the fitted by my local luthier, although if the bass had a detachable neck I would have probably done it myself.

I had Sims install some blue LED side dots in to my US Fender P Bass. The workmanship is superb and they also fitted a battery compartment at the rear of the body for a 9v battery. I also had an on/off switch added too.

The work was done probably 8 years ago and I think I've probably replaced the battery a maximum of 4 times (I don't turn the LED's on for every gig, only if it's a bit too dark).

I had them retro fitted to a Warwick Thumb Bass 17 years ago, first class job, no sign of how it is done.
Battery life (2 x PP3s) is that long I forget about them. Batteries went in the control cavity.
Although it says 'side leds' mine are only fibre optics from the fingerboard one. Has anyone else noticed that?

Edited by goingdownslow

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1489329193' post='3256050']
Anyone had these retrofitted to a bass? Just thinking about side dots (9 in total) on one bass (my Lull)...I was struggling to see where I was at a particularly dark stage last night.

If you've had them done, would like an honest opinion...usual concerns; neck damage during installation, battery life, type of battery (and location thereof). Did you have a switch installed for on/off?

Thanks
P
[/quote]i am selling a nyc sadowsky in the sales thread. I got the bass from a pro player doing cruises and he, like you wanted side dots only. He got simms (who are roger's preferred uk installer) and the installation is seemless, you cannot see any sign of them being fitted apart from the extra wiring and battery in the control cavity

Cheers for the information lads. I've pinged an email over to Sims.

I think the first one would be my Lull (bolt-on) and I've enquired about my Hamer/Gibsons as these are set necks.

I'm OK with having a microswitch on the front of these basses and there's bound to be space inside the control cavities to accommodate a couple of PP3s.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1489403683' post='3256559']
Cheers for the information lads. I've pinged an email over to Sims.

I think the first one would be my Lull (bolt-on) and I've enquired about my Hamer/Gibsons as these are set necks.

I'm OK with having a microswitch on the front of these basses and there's bound to be space inside the control cavities to accommodate a couple of PP3s.
[/quote]

If you don't want a switch, there's always a push/push or push/pull pot option.

You should check FretFX. Unlike other slutions this does not require mods to the instrument as it is a string of LED markers stuck to the side of the fingerboard. You can order for different scale lenghts ad different colors. I have not yet any experience but want to order one of these as this is a lot less hassle than modifying the instrument.
https://fretfx.com/

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1489926681' post='3260829']
If you don't want a switch, there's always a push/push or push/pull pot option.
[/quote]

I think that definately an option on the Hamer as it has Telecaster style knobs. The Lull has silver top-hats and might look odd, so switch it be. Aaar!

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1489927133' post='3260832']
What is the rough cost of the conversion?
[/quote]

420 English pounds for 10 LEDs.

I'm just wondering what colour now...the bass is black with a lot of chrome.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1489329723' post='3256057']
Have you looked at [url=http://www.luminlay.com]Luminlay[/url]? I had them fitted to my Warwick Starbass for exactly the same reason and they have been great. IIRC it cost £50 to have the fitted by my local luthier, although if the bass had a detachable neck I would have probably done it myself.
[/quote]

Another vote for Luminlay. I have them on my Sadowsky and both my Dingwalls.