66 replies to this topic

#61 RhysP

Forum Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:23 PM

View Postvisog, on 16 March 2017 - 06:57 AM, said:

I so agree about Geddy's Wal sound... on the other hand, I agree with the poster who said when they played one themselves it sounded incredible.

I think maybe a different producer could have got more balls out of Geddy's Wal..

I thought his Wal sounded like sh*te live too.
Having said that I've never liked Geddy's jazz bass sound much either.

#62 Chris2112

Metropolis has nothing on this

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,586 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:35 PM

View Post40hz, on 16 March 2017 - 12:01 PM, said:

Geddys Wal sound is one of my favourite tones of all time :/

Yep, I love Geddy's Wal sound. One of my favourite bass tones. It doesn't sound like a box strung with rubber bands to me, I would reserve that description for P basses and Gibsons (like that dreadful bass tone in 'Handy' by Wishbone Ash).
Cort Rithimic Jeff Berlin bass

Markbass CMD151P Jeff Berlin combo

Motorcycles by Triumph

#63 skidder652003

Laura Ashley school of Bass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • Interests:The awesome power of rock of course!
    Fine wine and cider!
    Gear:
    Squier 82 JV P/J
    75 Fender P with mods

Ampeg SVT-CL
    Ampeg 410 SVT-HLF
    Dave Hall - VT2 tube preamp
    boss compressor
    TU3 Tuner
    Pearl Phase
    EHX bassballs

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:56 PM

View PostChris2112, on 16 March 2017 - 06:35 PM, said:

Yep, I love Geddy's Wal sound. One of my favourite bass tones. It doesn't sound like a box strung with rubber bands to me, I would reserve that description for P basses and Gibsons (like that dreadful bass tone in 'Handy' by Wishbone Ash).
I was going to kick off about that, then I heard it...

#64 Dan Dare

Not getting any younger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Interests:Music, Watersports, Bikes, Beer

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:26 PM

I think the same makes and models that are prized now will remain so. I doubt whether any mass produced instruments will become really desirable (apart from those - vintage Fenders, Ric's, etc - that already are). Scarcity has a lot to do with demand/desirability. The handmade, custom makes mentioned above will always be sought after. When I started out, 50+ years ago, there was little choice - you either got a cheap piece of junk or saved for a Fender (which wouldn't necessarily be all that great - some were dogs) or possibly a Ric', unless you could afford custom. There was no real middle ground. With the advent of CNC machining, vast improvements in materials technology and mass production techniques, instruments of amazing quality are available at virtually all price points. I recently bought a Mexican PJ, which is better put together than my vintage Jazz. It isn't as characterful and I don't love it like I do the old beast, but as a versatile working instrument, it's excellent and it was very affordable. I could have picked from an enormous range of well built, reasonably priced alternatives.

#65 Conan

What would Geddy Lee do?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,864 posts
  • Interests:Music, food, drink, family, garden, cricket, rugby...

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:11 PM

View PostChris2112, on 16 March 2017 - 06:35 PM, said:

...that dreadful bass tone in 'Handy' by Wishbone Ash

:o :huh: :blink: :unsure: :mellow: <_<

:D ;) :) I quite like it, but it is playing more of a lead/solo role than most of his more normal bass sounds...

Edited by Conan, 17 March 2017 - 12:12 PM.

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass; G&L M2000 GTB tribute; Westone Thunder I; 'Fecker' fretless J; J&D Vintage 1975 J (modified). Markbass LMII, TKS H115, Barefaced Compact. Feedback here.

After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true. Live long and prosper!

#66 gazzatriumph

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, Playing Bass.

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:48 AM

View PostTrevorR, on 16 March 2017 - 12:01 AM, said:

Now you see, that's just typical of the ill informed rubbish that you see spouted on the internet as though it's fact. I mean, that photo has been obviously faked. EVERYONE knows that Geddy has never used that sort of band. They are patently heavy duty Post Office grade FLAT rubber bands in that photo. Any true Rush fan knows that Geddy uses incredibly thin, light Office-grade ROUND rubber bands. Get your facts right, mate!

Good one :-))
German Warwick Corvette $$, Kramer 350B, 1977 Fender P, TC Electronics RH750, RS210C, Michael Poller DB.

#67 gazzatriumph

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, Playing Bass.

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:50 AM

Aluminium necked Kramers
German Warwick Corvette $$, Kramer 350B, 1977 Fender P, TC Electronics RH750, RS210C, Michael Poller DB.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users