Why become a member? ×

Sought after basses of the future?

Number6

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1489509814' post='3257546']

From Rush.com's "rig rundown" section, 1989:

The colour-coding apparently helped him when he was breaking in a new ARP synthesiser and bass pedal arrangement.
[/quote]

Without a tort scratch plate that bass just doesn't make it ..... 😂😄

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1489488598' post='3257302']

And what about Leigh Gorman of Bow Wow Wow?

I think that the collectability of a particular bass depends very much on interesting players using that particular bass in preference to all others and not just as a passing phase like some of those mentioned above, who for me can just as easily be associated with other basses - like Martin Kemp who for me will always be associated with the Stingray he used in the early days when they were interesting rather than popular.
[/quote]

Leigh is another great player with a killer tone. But again on Pro and JG models rather than that later Custom models...

The colour-coding apparently helped him when he was breaking in a new ARP synthesiser and bass pedal arrangement.
[/quote]

Now you see, that's just typical of the ill informed rubbish that you see spouted on the internet as though it's fact. I mean, that photo has been obviously faked. EVERYONE knows that Geddy has never used that sort of band. They are patently heavy duty Post Office grade FLAT rubber bands in that photo. Any true Rush fan knows that Geddy uses incredibly thin, light Office-grade ROUND rubber bands. Get your facts right, mate!

[/quote]

I so agree about Geddy's Wal sound... on the other hand, I agree with the poster who said when they played one themselves it sounded incredible.

I think maybe a different producer could have got more balls out of Geddy's Wal..

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1489647445' post='3258558']
I so agree about Geddy's Wal sound... on the other hand, I agree with the poster who said when they played one themselves it sounded incredible.

I think maybe a different producer could have got more balls out of Geddy's Wal..
[/quote]

I thought his Wal sounded like sh*te live too.
Having said that I've never liked Geddy's jazz bass sound much either.

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1489665698' post='3258739']
Geddys Wal sound is one of my favourite tones of all time :/
[/quote]

Yep, I love Geddy's Wal sound. One of my favourite bass tones. It doesn't sound like a box strung with rubber bands to me, I would reserve that description for P basses and Gibsons (like that dreadful bass tone in 'Handy' by Wishbone Ash).

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1489689327' post='3259037']
Yep, I love Geddy's Wal sound. One of my favourite bass tones. It doesn't sound like a box strung with rubber bands to me, I would reserve that description for P basses and Gibsons (like that dreadful bass tone in 'Handy' by Wishbone Ash).
[/quote]
I was going to kick off about that, then I heard it...

I think the same makes and models that are prized now will remain so. I doubt whether any mass produced instruments will become really desirable (apart from those - vintage Fenders, Ric's, etc - that already are). Scarcity has a lot to do with demand/desirability. The handmade, custom makes mentioned above will always be sought after. When I started out, 50+ years ago, there was little choice - you either got a cheap piece of junk or saved for a Fender (which wouldn't necessarily be all that great - some were dogs) or possibly a Ric', unless you could afford custom. There was no real middle ground. With the advent of CNC machining, vast improvements in materials technology and mass production techniques, instruments of amazing quality are available at virtually all price points. I recently bought a Mexican PJ, which is better put together than my vintage Jazz. It isn't as characterful and I don't love it like I do the old beast, but as a versatile working instrument, it's excellent and it was very affordable. I could have picked from an enormous range of well built, reasonably priced alternatives.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1489689327' post='3259037'] ...that dreadful bass tone in 'Handy' by Wishbone Ash
[/quote]

:o :huh: :blink: :unsure: :mellow: <_<

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNJqVW2L5is[/media]

:D ;) :) I quite like it, but it is playing more of a lead/solo role than most of his more normal bass sounds...

Edited by Conan

Guest gazzatriumph

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1489622463' post='3258524']

Now you see, that's just typical of the ill informed rubbish that you see spouted on the internet as though it's fact. I mean, that photo has been obviously faked. EVERYONE knows that Geddy has never used that sort of band. They are patently heavy duty Post Office grade FLAT rubber bands in that photo. Any true Rush fan knows that Geddy uses incredibly thin, light Office-grade ROUND rubber bands. Get your facts right, mate!
[/quote]

Good one :-))