Chuck berry et al...funny Dep

34 replies to this topic

#31 T-Bay

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Interests:Old cars, old bikes, most things with an engine.

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:39 PM

View PostHazy Bass, on 16 March 2017 - 01:31 PM, said:

Down The Road Apiece, on the Rolling Sones 2 album I think it was :-)
That's the one! It wa son the tip of my tongue but my memory was having a morning off I think.

#32 casapete

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:10 AM

View Postivansc, on 16 March 2017 - 12:32 PM, said:

Also listen to the PIANO on Chucks stuff and more importantly on ANY of Fats Domino's records. We all assume it was guitar-led music but so much of the feel actually stems from the piano parts.

An absolutely classic example of this is Teenage Wedding. Check it out.

OOPS SORRY! Just noticed someone earlier had commented on the piano led nature of a lot of the early stuff.

Apparently Chuck joined / took over the Johnnie Johnson Trio, which possibly explained how some of his songs were in un-guitar friendly/ piano keys? As in a previous post, he also was influenced by T-Bone Walker and also Nat King Cole,which maybe carries this theory on, with a lot of their songs being in 'flat' keys too.

Agree with you about the piano on 'You never can tell ' (Teenage wedding), it's ace!

Edited by casapete, 17 March 2017 - 12:10 AM.

#33 grandad

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:Electronics & Acoustics.

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:40 AM

One of the things I like about Chuck's songs, and many of other's of that time, is the poetry. The telling of a simple story in rhyme set to music. And the humour and good nature/heartbreak is very everyday life that is easily related to and always brings a smile to my face.

I agree with many comments here that on the surface though quite simple tunes it is the subtle differences between them that give each it's own appeal.

Just read up on the difference between shuffle and swing. I think it's something I can recognise and do but hadn't really thought about the difference in musical terms.

https://www.studybas...-swing-rhythms/

4 favourites of mine are, (personal nostalgia), Think It Over - Buddy Holly, You Got Love - Peanuts Wilson, Cut Across Shorty - Eddie Cochran, Teenage Wedding - Chuck Berry.

Edited by grandad, 17 March 2017 - 07:54 AM.

Tokai
Aria
Yamaha
Squier
Alden

Peavey
Ampeg
Roland
TCE
Yamaha

#34 ians

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:P bass nut

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:10 PM

Re discovering JB Good has been something of a revelation.
As I said above I used to play it without a thought but Ive now developed a kind of ghost note shuffle with the emphasis on 2 and 4 and it feels really good, cant wait to play it with the band.
Of course going from that to "I Shoulda Loved Ya" by NMW kinda focuses the mind a bit....happy days.

Edited by ians, 17 March 2017 - 08:14 PM.

#35 T-Bay

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Interests:Old cars, old bikes, most things with an engine.

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:19 PM

He has died today :-(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users