Why become a member? ×

Chuck berry et al...funny Dep

oldbass

If you want to get some authenticity, go to Youtube and listen to Amos Milburn and Big Joe Turner from the 40s. These guys were rock n roll long before Haley, Presley etc, but they were black so they never got mainstream radio play. Presley and Haley both stole their songs and pretty much copied them exactly. Fats Domino played rock n roll in the late 40s also. The term "rock n roll" is attributed largely to a white DJ called Alan Freed about 1954 or 55, but the black guys had that term in 1946. It's in the lyrics of Boogie Woogie Country Girl by Big Joe Turner.

[quote name='Marty Forrer' timestamp='1489445714' post='3257098']
If you want to get some authenticity, go to Youtube and listen to Amos Milburn and Big Joe Turner from the 40s. These guys were rock n roll long before Haley, Presley etc, but they were black so they never got mainstream radio play. Presley and Haley both stole their songs and pretty much copied them exactly. Fats Domino played rock n roll in the late 40s also. The term "rock n roll" is attributed largely to a white DJ called Alan Freed about 1954 or 55, but the black guys had that term in 1946. It's in the lyrics of Boogie Woogie Country Girl by Big Joe Turner.
[/quote]

Thanks for that. I've got some good stuff to look forward to when I can get time for listening just for the love of it.

At the moment I am practising some jazz standards for a local singer guitarist. I see Rock and Roll as the other side of the coin taken from the historical POV. Although I have explored the idea of taking up DB it is impractical for my circumstances. I may have more use for my fretless given the opportunities that are presenting themselves just now. It's not the same, I know. It's far more appropriate than an eighties style headless however.

Also listen to the PIANO on Chucks stuff and more importantly on ANY of Fats Domino's records. We all assume it was guitar-led music but so much of the feel actually stems from the piano parts.

An absolutely classic example of this is Teenage Wedding. Check it out.

OOPS SORRY! Just noticed someone earlier had commented on the piano led nature of a lot of the early stuff.

Edited by ivansc

[quote name='Marty Forrer' timestamp='1489445714' post='3257098']
[/quote]
Didn't the stones cover an Amos Milburn song? Can't remember the name but it will come to me...........

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1489667548' post='3258774']
Also listen to the PIANO on Chucks stuff and more importantly on ANY of Fats Domino's records. We all assume it was guitar-led music but so much of the feel actually stems from the piano parts.

An absolutely classic example of this is Teenage Wedding. Check it out.

OOPS SORRY! Just noticed someone earlier had commented on the piano led nature of a lot of the early stuff.
[/quote]

Apparently Chuck joined / took over the Johnnie Johnson Trio, which possibly explained how some of his songs were in un-guitar friendly/ piano keys? As in a previous post, he also was influenced by T-Bone Walker and also Nat King Cole,which maybe carries this theory on, with a lot of their songs being in 'flat' keys too.

Agree with you about the piano on 'You never can tell ' (Teenage wedding), it's ace!

Edited by casapete

One of the things I like about Chuck's songs, and many of other's of that time, is the poetry. The telling of a simple story in rhyme set to music. And the humour and good nature/heartbreak is very everyday life that is easily related to and always brings a smile to my face.

I agree with many comments here that on the surface though quite simple tunes it is the subtle differences between them that give each it's own appeal.

Just read up on the difference between shuffle and swing. I think it's something I can recognise and do but hadn't really thought about the difference in musical terms.

[url="https://www.studybass.com/lessons/rhythm/shuffle-and-swing-rhythms/"]https://www.studybas...-swing-rhythms/[/url]

4 favourites of mine are, (personal nostalgia), Think It Over - Buddy Holly, You Got Love - Peanuts Wilson, Cut Across Shorty - Eddie Cochran, Teenage Wedding - Chuck Berry.

Edited by grandad

Re discovering JB Good has been something of a revelation.
As I said above I used to play it without a thought but Ive now developed a kind of ghost note shuffle with the emphasis on 2 and 4 and it feels really good, cant wait to play it with the band.
Of course going from that to "I Shoulda Loved Ya" by NMW kinda focuses the mind a bit....happy days.

Edited by ians