Why become a member? ×

Anderson Rabin Wakeman.

gelfin

Yep, Pomeroy on bass, did a fair job as well.

Rick was excellent as you would expect. Paraded on wearing a glittery cloak.

No new material played. Tracks from Yes Album, Fragile, CTOE, 90125, Big Generator, Union and Going for the One.

Good to see the Cardiff Motorpoint Arena was full. Although IMHO still too many people trying to video on mobiles.

I passed as I'm not a fan of what Rabin does to the 'classic' material. However I do quite like the modern material with him but really as a separate entity. (No co-incidence that the mighty contrapuntal Squire simplified his lines considerably under Rabin in the hope of hits.)

Sort of regretting passing this over as its probably their last hurrah... given their ages and health...

Similarly, although I think the R&RHoF is a self-important, self-imposed, irrelevance - that said, I'm looking forward to their induction and hope Geddy Lee does get to play on Roundabout.

Saw the Cardiff show. Enjoyed it. Jon was really strong, he just makes me smile with his flashing LED boots, permanent look of joy, he embodies Yes. Blew all the stand-ins away. I thought Rabin was poor, none of Howe's subtlety . He and Wakeman seemed under rehearsed. It was the first show of the European leg. Pomeroy and the drummer seemed to be leading Rabin and Wakeman. They were very well received with a standing ovation after Awaken. Glad I went after much prevarication.

I just got back from seeing them at Hammersmith. A superb show. The mix was a bit muddy in the first half but came alive in the second set - or I might have got used to it. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Jon Anderson's voice is still going strong. Rabin is no Steve Howe but he's good at what he does. Better than me, anyway!

What I find odd is that no-one has commented on Lee Pomeroy's basses....unless it's covered in a topic all it's own, in which case, forgive me for mentioning it here....

Two lovely Ricks, one tuned to D G C F, both left-hookers and both strung "the wrong way" as in the low E being at the bottom of the bass and the G at the top. In other words, a left handed bass strung for a right handed player, played by a left hander. I felt slightly dizzy just watching him. He came for a chat after the sound check as I was checking out his basses and seems like a really nice guy. He did a pretty good job too, even if he was mixed fairly well back (at least, he was from my seat in the second row, extreme right).

I've seen Yes a good few times over the years and saw them doing Fragile and Drama last year. While that was a pretty good show (with Billy Sherwood doing a damn good job of standing in for the late Chris Squire), they came across as a bit of a tribute band. ARW were more like the real thing. It's not Yes without Anderson and Wakeman - but it seems that it's not Yes without Howe either.

Still, a very good night and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Even with the upside down, back to front, inside out, weird bass stringing that makes my head hurt when I think about it 😀

[quote name='Skinnyman' timestamp='1489969917' post='3261211']
What I find odd is that no-one has commented on Lee Pomeroy's basses....unless it's covered in a topic all it's own, in which case, forgive me for mentioning it here....
[/quote]

... and a 5-string Stingray for one of the "new" songs.

Full setlist here, looks unchanged for most of the tour: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/anderson-rabin-and-wakeman/2017/eventim-apollo-london-england-4bf9132a.html - apprently Starship Trooper was in there earlier on as well (ie USA dates I think)

Great to hear the classic material, I could have done with one less 80s song though, for example Changes, Rhythm Of Love, Lift Me Up - from Union for heavens sake! Worst "Yes" album ever.

Agree that no Jon = no Yes. And "album playthrough" gigs like Actual Yes are currently doing are the worst.