Why become a member? ×

Spector

radiophonic

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1489584490' post='3258146']
I went and had a play. I tried both a Rebop and a Euro LX (some kind of signature model, all white).[/quote]

Ah yes, that's the Mike Starr (Alice In Chains) sig model.....

I owned a Spector Euro LX4 Poplar Burl finish for several years. A beautifully made, lovely to play great sounding neck thru bass with P & J type pick-ups. Excellent value for money. I sold it recently and now regret it! I have always loved Fender Jazzes as reliable work horses, but pound for pound the Spectors seem better built for my money.

I'm now starting to wonder about the depth of the neck and whether that would be a long term issue (the ghost of a previously owned Wal). I went back and played my Stingray last night and the playability around the first few frets is exceptionally good. If I could find something with that kind of neck profile but a much more modern sound and a compact body shape, I'd be in business.

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1489650087' post='3258582']
I'm now starting to wonder about the depth of the neck and whether that would be a long term issue (the ghost of a previously owned Wal). I went back and played my Stingray last night and the playability around the first few frets is exceptionally good. If I could find something with that kind of neck profile but a much more modern sound and a compact body shape, I'd be in business.
[/quote]
How about a Sterling?
▪thin neck
▪ceramic pickup / modern sounding
▪smaller body

Edited by darkandrew

I have had a number of Spectors down the years, including the DW. They were, every one of them, beautiful basses, just incredible. The reason I moved them all on was that they just sound too much like Spectors!! Not a criticism, just took over my sound a bit too much.

[quote name='cetera' timestamp='1489677453' post='3258909']
You need to try the Ian Hill or Doug Wimbish model then.....
[/quote]
The DW is more of a jazz profile though isn't it? 1.5" nut? I'm happy with 1 5/8 ish but just want it a bit shallower at the nut. What are the Ian Hill ones like? I love the sound btw.

Not considered a Sterling. Call me vain but the Spectors are very pretty.

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1489695939' post='3259088']
The DW is more of a jazz profile though isn't it? 1.5" nut? I'm happy with 1 5/8 ish but just want it a bit shallower at the nut. What are the Ian Hill ones like? I love the sound btw.

Not considered a Sterling. Call me vain but the Spectors are very pretty.
[/quote]

The Ian Hill models have a 'regular' nut, but the neck is thinner back to front on those. Might be the perfect solution for you.
And yes, Spectors ARE pretty :-)

[quote name='Paulhauser' timestamp='1489696973' post='3259096']

The Ian Hill models have a 'regular' nut, but the neck is thinner back to front on those. Might be the perfect solution for you.
And yes, Spectors ARE pretty :-)
[/quote]
There was an Ian Hill model for sale on here a while ago that I almost went for - have a look through the basses for sale section; it might still be available.

Don't want to hijack the thread but...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/302668-spector-euro-lx5/"]http://basschat.co.u...ector-euro-lx5/[/url]

BTW I was speaking to the Barnes & Mullins rep at the LBGS and have his email if anybody needs it:

[email protected]

Obviously BillyApple being mates with Stu Spector ;) ;) may have slightly more influence.

Edited by TheGreek

I notice that Bass Direct have an Ian Hill model in. I need to go and have a play, pronto. They also have a black '92 Stingray which would be an actual perfect backup for what I have. Decisions decisions. Getting out is logistically way too complicated this week alas. I just wish PMT Nottingham would make a tiny effort and actually stock a few basses that aren't Fenders or Fender clones. It's a hell of a lot closer and I might actually buy something if they thought about their stocking policy for 5 seconds.

Edited by radiophonic

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1489591058' post='3258222']
Of you want a slimmer neck profile you could go for the Ian Hill Euro model. They come up s/h pretty rarely tho. The neck profile was measured from Ian's Kramer era Spector that for whatever reason had slimmer necks.
[/quote]
This is the "Kramer neck shave " option on current US NS 2 basses. When Staurt restarted Spector (SSD) back in the early nineties the original Brooklyn/Kramer tooling was left behind. Starting from scratch the new templates resulted in the necks/ headstocks becoming thicker while the bodies were slightly less offset.
Another photo for the thread - '87 Kramer NS 2.

Edited by BritBass 2

My GF had a smash in the car, some nerve and disc damage in shoulder and back, so was really struggling with her full scale basses (she's not tall, but not tiny either), to the point where she almost gave up playing.

Foolishly I got her a Spector Shorty for Xmas. She's barely spoken to me for the past 4 months.

She's just playing it all the time - loves it, the balance and ergonomics, feel and sound. A real miniBeast.

I don't have any experience of other (full size) Spectors. In fact I don't have much direct experience of this one as she won't put it down long enough for me to try it, but jI'm guessing Spectors are pretty good.

She's enjoying it so much that she's gone for a fretless Shorty too. Maybe I might get finally my hands on one or other of them when that arrives.

[quote name='Paulhauser' timestamp='1489650188' post='3258584']
Here is one pic with my Spectors then :-)

[attachment=240724:17269383_1469388653093553_2000809018_o.jpg]
[/quote][quote name='Paulhauser' timestamp='1489650188' post='3258584']

[/quote][quote name='cetera' timestamp='1489677453' post='3258909']
You need to try the Ian Hill or Doug Wimbish model then.....

[/quote]Wouldn't mind a better look at that pinky.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1493238347' post='3286870']
Wouldn't mind a better look at that pinky.
[/quote]
[quote name='Dapper Bandit' timestamp='1493229058' post='3286769']
Is that a pink Spector I spy? Very nice indeed, always had a soft spot for a pink instrument (fnar fnar)!
[/quote]

Here you are (very difficult to photograph)
[color=#000000][font=helvetica][size=3][url="http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/palpurnhauser/media/N71_1053_zpscpefxbkp.jpg.html"][/url][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=helvetica][size=3][url="http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/palpurnhauser/media/N71_1051_zpssyrihtoz.jpg.html"][/url][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Paulhauser' timestamp='1493240443' post='3286891']
Here you are (very difficult to photograph)
[color=#000000][font=helvetica][size=3][url="http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/palpurnhauser/media/N71_1053_zpscpefxbkp.jpg.html"][/url][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=helvetica][size=3][url="http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/palpurnhauser/media/N71_1051_zpssyrihtoz.jpg.html"][/url][/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]That is f***ing awesome. Tell me all about it please.

Well, I have another Spector that is more Purple, so compared to that I say it's pinkish.
[url="http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/palpurnhauser/media/IMG_5392_zpsiazahi7u.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/palpurnhauser/media/IMG_5393_zpsuwufzh1q.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/palpurnhauser/media/IMG_5403_zps2sotempt.jpg.html"][/url]