Why become a member? ×

Anyone got an American Professional P bass

artisan

If so how good is it really?
I'm 50 this year so fancy treating my self to a nice bass & one of these is calling to me, especially in olive green.
Plus it'll fit in nicely with my band.
However they are bloody expensive for a very basic instrument.
If you own one what do you think of it.

I have to admit I'm loving the green colour.
I'm not sure that the jump in price will mean a corresponding jump in quality as I think the price rise is due to global economic factors. But then again any instrument for £1K should be fantastic anyway. The fact that it's now £1.5K should not diminish that.

I don't own one but I played a couple in my quest for a new P-bass:

They are nice basses - the name & slight spec change was really just Fenders way to bump the price of the American Standards. Are they £300 better than the American Standards? Probably not but once all the cheaper American Standards are gone then the "Professional" is just going to be the go to bass in that price range, quality basses that do the job well.

An Olive green with maple neck (for me) Precision from this range would be a lovely bass to own & you'll forget about the extra couple of hundred quid after a few months.

Edited by Lw.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1489421793' post='3256777']
You said it yourself Artisan and I agree totally. It is a lot of cash for a basic instrument. But if you want a Fender US P bass new, you might have to bite the bullet.
[/quote]

Nope. Buy this:

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=12031011241058-546843

So I can stop looking at it.

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1489514409' post='3257591']
Is exchange rate also not part of the reason for the price rise?
[/quote]

Always! But let's not talk about it in case mummy & daddy get angry about the naughty politics chat.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1489517637' post='3257624']

Always! But let's not talk about it in case mummy & daddy get angry about the naughty politics chat.
[/quote]

I wasn't going to bring up politics at all - it's a basic fact that the pound is weaker against the dollar than it was a year or two ago, whatever people might think of the reasons why that might be so.

• 5 months later...

Yes, I've got the 4-string American Professional Precision. As people have probably mentioned, the changes are quite small compared to the previous American Standard models, but quite succinct. I compared the rosewood with the maple and the rosewood is not only warmer sounding, but notes have more definition. The maple sounds almost too shimmery if that makes sense? The V-Mod pickup is very good and a great improvement over the overly dark sounding CS62 used previously and they generally seem lighter than before, so win win. Only complaint people seem to have (apart from the cost!) is a lack of definition on the E string, but that's easily sorted with a good setup. My only complaint is that the narrow/tall frets make sure you play on your fingertips, as notes require more finger pressure. But that's just my excuse for sloppy LH technique :)

..in fact, [url="https://public-peace.de/shopping-cart?view=bundle&id=964"]I've built one for you[/url]. They don't do vintage olive, but hopefully it's not a dealbreaker. Lots of other colours to choose from, too.

And it was so much cheaper, I've thrown in some Hipshot Ultralites and Hipshot bridge for you.

Comes out at about 1100 quid.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1503333721' post='3357347']
..in fact, [url="https://public-peace.de/shopping-cart?view=bundle&id=964"]I've built one for you[/url]. They don't do vintage olive, but hopefully it's not a dealbreaker. Lots of other colours to choose from, too.

And it was so much cheaper, I've thrown in some Hipshot Ultralites and Hipshot bridge for you.

Comes out at about 1100 quid.
[/quote]

Why did I think these basses were quite a lot cheaper than that?? Swear there was talk of £600 and £700 for a marusisjfhgysikz not so long ago?

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1503336857' post='3357374']
Why did I think these basses were quite a lot cheaper than that?? Swear there was talk of £600 and £700 for a marusisjfhgysikz not so long ago?
[/quote]

Not quite that cheap. The [url="https://public-peace.de/index.php/bass-guitars/maruszczyk/jake/4-string"]stock basses [/url]can be a bit cheaper, though.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1503337751' post='3357389']
They were cheaper before the thing that must not be named.
[/quote]
The thing that hasn't happened yet. That's the more frustrating thing about it. Currency crash based on uncertainty.

This might be controversial for all you Marus fans, but in my opinion there's something very off putting about the body shape of those Jakes. The original Fender shape is beautiful, a design classic. I don't know but perhaps it makes good use of the 'Golden Ratio', French curves and all that. The Jake looks like someone tried to make a Precision template drawn freehand in one attempt just from memory.

I'm not saying all P/J clones need to faithfully copy the original. For instance the new Sandberg shapes I find very nice indeed!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1503339710' post='3357407']
This might be controversial for all you Marus fans, but in my opinion there's something very off putting about the body shape of those Jakes. The original Fender shape is beautiful, a design classic. I don't know but perhaps it makes good use of the 'Golden Ratio', French curves and all that. The Jake looks like someone tried to make a Precision template drawn freehand in one attempt just from memory.

I'm not saying all P/J clones need to faithfully copy the original. For instance the new Sandberg shapes I find very nice indeed!
[/quote]

Out of interest, what are you seeing?

when I A/B my Jakes and '71 P's, the main visual difference I can see is that the pickguard on the lower horn of the Jakes is rounder than the P's. Apart from that, the Jakes have more of a scoop to the lower cutaway, and that's pretty much it...