Why become a member? ×

Fixed..! Any TX16Wx Users (Experts..?) here..? I can't figure out Round Robins...

Dad3353

Good evening...

As per title, I'm trying to create a simple bass drum from a set of samples, to be triggered using C3, with 32 velocity layers (that part works, automatically...), and a round robin, randomly selecting 1 of 8. Anyone able to pass on the Knowledge, preferably using words of less than one syllable, for an old duffer with oodles of patience but no gumption..? I've looked, of course, elsewhere on t'web, as well as through the TX docs and help files, to no avail. Once I get the hang of doing one, I should be good for doing a complete kit; it's the free end of the ball of wool that I need, then I'll be able to unravel the rest, hopefully. If more detail is required, I'd be happy to supply. Any takers, please..?

Edited by Dad3353

I can't help, I am lazy. I tend to purchase Sample Libs with Round Robins. :(
I really should attempt to do what you are doing at some point in Kontakt.

Have you tried a request over at the CWITEC/KVR forum ?
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=213

Cheers, thanks for replying.
No, I've not asked of their forum yet (I've only just paid for the 'Pro' license, as I'm sure to keep it...), and am not yet inscribed there. I've been experimenting since, however, using a minimal '3-voice' RR, and can group them so they play with C3. They only play each in turn, though, and not randomly as yet. Closer, but not quite good enough.
Yes, I've plenty enough instruments that already have RR (my Ruby basses, Superior Drums and more...), but want to, eventually, sample my own Camco drums, and also use sets of samples which I've 'collected' over the years. More an exercise in style than an absolute necessity, but that's retirement for you, eh..? Altogether I've found TX16 to be an excellent sampler, which will be very useful for many things in my future compositions. To be continued...

As you were, men (and ladies...); I've got it sussed now. B) Thanks to some posts on the TX forum, a fair bit of head scratching and not a few experiments, I now have a fully randomised 8-round robin sampled bass drum, with 32 velocity layers. I can't say that it's exactly intuitive (I'd never in a million years have found out by myself, nor with the User Manual alone, although it all adds up...), but it's a doddle, really, once the penny drops. I've always wanted to have an open-ended sampler that I could load up with my own stuff, and have always been either limited to simple 'one-shots' and the like, or an interface requiring NASA training to get to grips with, and often enough text-based, or worse..! This TX16Wx is powerful, easy as pie for the more simple manipulations, and, as I now find, with oodles of handy features for those wishing to delve into the murky depths behind the façade. Free download, simple to install, with the possibility of trialling the 'Pro' features with no restrictions. A 'personal use' 'Pro' license is a mere €29, and I will put my neck out and affirm that this is the best sampler available for personal use by a long chalk, and worth every penny (or euro, or dollar, or whatever...).
Now then, what about a cracking snare drum, eh..? Midnight oil will be burned (again...), I fear... :rolleyes:

PS: if there's anyone wishing to learn how to do this, I'd be happy to go through the steps to get 'em started, at least. Expert, I am not, but I'm willing to share what little I have. ;)

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1489536121' post='3257813']
Well thank you Douglas , that is very generous of you , now , can we go back to the first bit I started to lose it ......

C3, what's that all about ;)
[/quote]

I'm sorry, Lurks, I forgot that not all here are members of the intelligentsia. :rolleyes: :lol:
'C3' refers to the 'piano' key that will trigger the bass drum through MIDI. The notes are numbered by octave, where C0 is a very low C indeed. Typical drum configurations, such as General MIDI (GM...) use C for the bass drum, C# for the snare, and so on. For the purposes of my experiment I could have chosen any key at all; I just naturally went for the 'standard' key for the bass drum.
I'm assuming that the concept of a Round Robin is within your grasp (generous as I am this evening...), and that velocity levels hold no secrets from you..? If not, I'll elaborate further. Anything else too cloudy for you..? :sleep:

To tell the truth, most of this stuff was way beyond my ken a week or so ago, and anyway, I forget it as fast (or faster...) than I pick it up..! Old age, eh..? :lol:

... which probably explains why one often has to transpose an octave up or down certain MIDI files. No big deal, as it's easy to do with Reaper, at least, but can produce some surprises. Luckily it's not a life-threatening lack of coordination, just another bugbear to bear with.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1489537113' post='3257819']
I'm sorry, Lurks, I forgot that not all here are members of the intelligentsia. :rolleyes: :lol:
'C3' refers to the 'piano' key that will trigger the bass drum through MIDI. The notes are numbered by octave, where C0 is a very low C indeed. Typical drum configurations, such as General MIDI (GM...) use C for the bass drum, C# for the snare, and so on. For the purposes of my experiment I could have chosen any key at all; I just naturally went for the 'standard' key for the bass drum.
I'm assuming that the concept of a Round Robin is within your grasp (generous as I am this evening...), and that velocity levels hold no secrets from you..? If not, I'll elaborate further. Anything else too cloudy for you..? :sleep:

To tell the truth, most of this stuff was way beyond my ken a week or so ago, and anyway, I forget it as fast (or faster...) than I pick it up..! Old age, eh..? :lol:
[/quote]

Cheers Dad , I do recall seeing numbers on the midi keyboard now you come to mention it :blush:

Now as for a round robin, well there's the plump one in my garden that loves mealworms , and the bet where you get perms from 3 picks and that's it :rolleyes:

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1489696178' post='3259090']...
Now as for a round robin...
[/quote]

When programming drums, a continual repetition of the same sample will sound unnatural, and, in extreme cases (drum rolls, or bass drum blast beats, for instance...) will give an effect known as 'machine gun'. A Round Robin will play a different sample for each successive note, sometimes each in turn, or, even better for most drums, randomly. This gives a more natural rendition. 3 or 4 RR's are enough for many applications (that's to say, 3 or 4 sets of samples to be triggered...), but 8 is good too..! If the samples are well recorded, the result is almost imperceptible, but the end product has a far better 'feeling' to it. B)
I'll bow to your superior expertise concerning perms; it's been a long time since I went to the hairdressers. :mellow: