Why become a member? ×

Anyone use a Squire Jaguar modified VI?

Biglump

Anyone got one of these, and if so, whats the good, bad and ugly side of them, please.

[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Squier-by-Fender-Vintage-Modified-Bass-VI-Olympic-White/UB6?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=39282d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=119007683119&gclid=COeLrqSU1NICFeUp0wod-xAHGw"]http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Squier-by-Fender-Vintage-Modified-Bass-VI-Olympic-White/UB6?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=39282d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=119007683119&gclid=COeLrqSU1NICFeUp0wod-xAHGw[/url]

[quote name='Biglump' timestamp='1489431450' post='3256883']
Anyone got one of these, and if so, whats the good, bad and ugly side of them, please.

[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Squier-by-Fender-Vintage-Modified-Bass-VI-Olympic-White/UB6?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=39282d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=119007683119&gclid=COeLrqSU1NICFeUp0wod-xAHGw"]http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Squier-by-Fender-Vintage-Modified-Bass-VI-Olympic-White/UB6?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=39282d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=119007683119&gclid=COeLrqSU1NICFeUp0wod-xAHGw[/url]
[/quote]

Yea I've got one in tort, for sale on here actually. I bought it as a bit of a novelty so that I could play some "pretty chords" with delay, but after not getting used to a pick I picked up my regular 4 string again.

Good side:
-really fun to play
-interesting tones with the pickup switching system
-get some great overdrive sounds from it
-makes you play in a different way than you'd imagine

Bad side:
-poor bridge system, not enough play to intonate 100%, and even then, the bridge pivots, so once you use the tremelo arm, it goes out of whack
-stock strings are poor, need new E and A string to get any useable bass. Even then, they dont sit well on the stock bridge and could pop out of the groove with a hard hit
-to make it giggable, youd need a new set of strings and the aftermarket bridge which costs around £75

Overall, its actually a really fun bass to pick up and noodle on occasionally. However, i wouldnt want to pay too much for it, ie, less than £250.

But it really is a load of fun to play, ive played mine for a few hours with some neat sounds produced. But i sold it as i didnt want to invest in the new bridge for it. Seriously, it needs it, i also put bushes in the bridge to stop the pivot.

• 1 month later...

Just sold my second one - Interesting to play around with but in the end not something I could use that much.
By default they need quite a bit of work on them to make them good instruments for use all the time (they are great for occasional use).
Got one of the ibanez SRC6 which plays much better (and has a fixed tail) and is overall a much better guitar, but these are much more downtuned guitars rather than thinner spaced basses.