Why become a member? ×

Just pressed the button....

T-Bay

And bought an Ibanez TMB30. I fancy a play with a shortscale electric and every review I could find seemed to rate them very highly. Sadly they seem to be out of stock in every shop within 100miles of me so had to go mail order. Time will tell if the reviews are accurate.........

It's arrived safely and I have had a chance to unpack and have a quick play. First impressions are very very good indeed. It's a budget bass by any means but does not feel that at all. The finish is superb on the main body and the neck is finished in a satin effect. I prefer a gloss neck but the satin finish is well applied, looks good and more importantly feels nice when you are playing. All the fixtures are of decent, if not premium, quality as you would expect. Only the knobs have a feel of being a bit 'cheap'. Overall the build quality compares very well with other makers I could mention.

Once plugged in the real surprise arrives, I expected it to sound good as the reviews I have read are all positive but I have to admit I am amazed by the sound on a bass of this price. The separate volume controls for the pickups and a tone control allow a great variety control over the sound. I am not a fan of the twin pick up volume controls, but that is a personal thing - I prefer a master volume and a mixer control. The sound is deep and rich and the sustain matches my full scales.

Overall I would give it 9.5/10 with only the slightly cheap knobs letting it down, but at the price I can more than forgive that.