Why become a member? ×

Line-Level Blend

Kev

My query is this.

Live, I aways send the bass to PA as well as through the cab on stage. I'll only usually do this through a mic'd cab or my Omnicabsim cab sim pedal, mainly the latter unless the sound guy kicks up a fuss. I wont DI straight from the amp as I find it sounds too unnatural by comparison. The Omnicabsim will sit in my amp's effects loop, with the dry out returning to the amp and the DI from the pedal going FOH.

That being said, I'm warming to the idea of blending the signal I am sending to FOH, say 50% mic'd/omnicabsim and 50% DI from head, so I get the best of both worlds.

What is the best way of me doing this?

I hate to say it but I'll bet that the house sound engineer, in any venue you play, will smile and nod and mute the feed from your mic at the first opportunity.

Live sound engineers REALLY like to DI bass. I know it's a pain but they really, really do.

Surely you'd just send him the Mic/cab sim & the amp DI as two separate channels, and let him mix them appropriately.
But really, most venue sound engineers know their gear and know what sounds good. If they're polite they might let you set it up, but then just do what they want at the desk (as mentioned above). If they're rude, they'll just tell you to f**k off lol.
The way around this is to take your own sound-guy.....which not many originals bands can afford to do

Si

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1489438703' post='3256996']
My query is this.

Live, I aways send the bass to PA as well as through the cab on stage. I'll only usually do this through a mic'd cab or my Omnicabsim cab sim pedal, mainly the latter unless the sound guy kicks up a fuss. I wont DI straight from the amp as I find it sounds too unnatural by comparison. The Omnicabsim will sit in my amp's effects loop, with the dry out returning to the amp and the DI from the pedal going FOH.

That being said, I'm warming to the idea of blending the signal I am sending to FOH, say 50% mic'd/omnicabsim and 50% DI from head, so I get the best of both worlds.

What is the best way of me doing this?
[/quote]

This is a reason for me wanting to get a two notes torepedo

I can give the sound desk an 810 mic'd sound with no mics so they can't complain, every time I try to send two signals to the pa they have a moan.

I normally send my normal bass and a di which has the subs from my meatbox.

Give the soundman two separate feeds as suggested above.

Andy - I would watch it if trying to blend a Torpedo with clean DI live. The Torpedo is digital so has a slight processing delay. This is only a few ms, so not big enough to be noticeable by itself, but if you mix that with clean you might experience comb filtering effects like a flanger stuck at one point of its sweep. This is a benefit of the analog nature of the OmniCabSim!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1489639109' post='3258549']

Andy - I would watch it if trying to blend a Torpedo with clean DI live. The Torpedo is digital so has a slight processing delay. This is only a few ms, so not big enough to be noticeable by itself, but if you mix that with clean you might experience comb filtering effects like a flanger stuck at one point of its sweep. This is a benefit of the analog nature of the OmniCabSim!
[/quote]

Interesting I hope to be able to try it out, the di would be a meatbox so not clean but thanks for the info

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1489639109' post='3258549']

[/quote]

yeah - that's important to note. You can't really put digital processing in parrallel with an all analogue path due to the delay on the digital signal and resulting phase issues ie comb filtering.
But if the Torpedo has a 'clean out' which has the same delay as the CabSim output then that could be used.