Why become a member? ×

Musicman saber control plate

LukeFRC

[quote name='Nivagues' timestamp='1489477958' post='3257182']
Both the Sting Ray and Sabre control plates can be obtained by emailing Ernie Ball customer service.
[/quote] "hi I want to make a clone of your design - can you help me out?"
Not sure I'll get much luck that way

[quote name='Nivagues' timestamp='1489477958' post='3257182']
Both the Sting Ray and Sabre control plates can be obtained by emailing Ernie Ball customer service.
[/quote]

Really? I thought that Ernie Ball wasn't that accommodating with regard to MusicMan parts. Usually they want the part you are replacing before you get the new one. Hence there's very few genuine MM parts available on ebay. Big Poppa himself wrote that if you swap the pickup(s) for something from a 3rd party hold on to your originals as he's not gonna supply you with new ones.

AFAIK parts like EQs, control knobs, tuners and the like have been available for ages. Not sure about pick ups.

They certainly won't sell you a large part like a neck or a body without swapping for the original. That's great for people buying used basses as they generally don't have to worry about people selling made up concoctions as the real thing (apart from the occasional attempt to pass off a cheaper copy as the real thing).

That's also why many of the parts are deliberately not interchangeable between the SBMM, Sub (non US versions), and Musicman basses.

Note there's two types of Sabre control plate, one with a multi position blade switch for coil selection the other with on/off switches between the controls.

I'm pretty sure you can buy a control plate but they may not have a Sabre one in stock. You'll probably have to order it through a shop which deals with S and T.

Edited by drTStingray

I ended up getting a picture of one and made it from a sheet of stainless. Works if you have the skills and tools necessary. Drilling stainless is a nightmare, but something like aluminium would be easy enough, plastic even more so.

Saying that, alusonic (a bass company who make their basses entirely from aluminium) make a sabre style bass, and just so happen to use the same style control plate (the 5 way switch one, not the original multiple switch one), so could be worth sending them an email to see if you could buy one.