Why become a member? ×

77 P Bass

Stealth

I have a nice all original black body maple neck P Bass all complete down to the chrome covers. The only non original thing is the case which is a newish fender (G&G) one. I had it refretted by Chandlers about 5 years ago they did a really nice job. Its got all the usual battle scars that you would expect from a 40 year old bass. My question is what is it worth £ ?? I always said it would be a good investment for a rainy day ..well its raining so what do think.

They vary wildly in what they fetch IMHO.

Seen them go for anything from £1200 upwards privately.

If you want to buy one from Andy Baxters (for example) expect to pay about £1800 - 2k.

Non-original case won't de-value it much, re-fret maybe a little more.

As Lewis says, the non original case won't devalue the bass much. The re-fret will indeed devalue it a bit. Although, as long as it's a decent job, done by a decent luthier, and there are no scars from the de-fretting, it shouldn't devalue it too much. My own thinking is a 40 year old instrument is bound to have had some wear & tear, and I'd rather buy one that's had a decent re-fret, than one that badly needs a re-fret....

Lewis's values are in the right ball-park too, I think.
Do you have any photos? - That might also help, because some colours and finishes are also more sought after than others.
Post some good pics, with a few close-up details and someone might be able to give you a more comprehensive answer

Also, this year might be a good time to sell, as it's someone's Y.O.B. 40th birthday bass
Obviously, in 2027, it should be worth more - as that's a 50th birthday YOB for someone

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1489495362' post='3257375']Also, this year might be a good time to sell, as it's someone's Y.O.B. 40th birthday bass
Obviously, in 2027, it should be worth more - as that's a 50th birthday YOB for someone
[/quote]

Very good points! The vintage market is strange, and is massively influenced by demand. Some seemingly ordinary instruments command incredible prices, while some beauties struggle to sell. It can be hard to predict.

Significant birthdays make people do silly things (or at least impulsive things that seem silly to others!). :gas:

Edited by Conan

It's interesting to hear the opinions on what a re-fret would do to the value.

I looked online at a YOB bass recently from a retailer and it was clear that it would need a re-fret to be properly playable. To me, that same bass would be worth a bit more with a good quality re-fret than in it's current state. Is that because I want to buy a player rather than a collectible?

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1489495362' post='3257375']

Also, this year might be a good time to sell, as it's someone's Y.O.B. 40th birthday bass
[/quote]

Went for a G&L LB100! High values for a 70s fender seem a bit bizarre, I don't think you could buy a guitar magazine in the 90s that didn't say somewhere they were poor. Totally get why that's not always true, a mate has a great 70s strat, but it's also nowhere near as good as his 60s job.