Why become a member? ×

Gibson Trademarked Guitars

BassApprentice

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1489493611' post='3257356']
Right. I'm nipping out to the patents office to patent my own body shape. Soon I'll be collecting royalties from all you lot wot are carrying dad guts too.

Anyone for a Euro Banana?
[/quote]
Are you a unique and innovative design with extremely valuable commercial worth ? :)

Isnt it the case that Dan Lakin got told off by Fender and had to change his headstock design ? I dont think its too much to ask that someone making something [i]quite like your valuable commerical product[/i] makes it sufficiently different that it doesnt get mistaken for [i]your valuable commerical product and affect your business adversely. [/i]You'd never rmistake the Vintage icon fretless relic bass for the custom shop jaco replica costing ten times as much but it looks similar enough to satisfy people who dont care enough about "replca" to pay ten time as much, and doesnt lose Fender the business they would have had anyway.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1489577461' post='3258038']
If Gibson actually just stepped up to QC as good as Musicman and PRS, they'd sell a lot more instruments anyway.

I've recently played a lot more guitar and I am astonished at some of the guitar forum posts about poor workmanship on £2k Les Pauls.

I want a nice classic tone of a Les Paul but I am not risking buying one.
[/quote]

I've heard alot of that too and trust the players that have told me. The irony is that I just picked up a cheap Gibson USA 2014 Les Paul Melody Maker model and the QC on that one is great. Go figure...

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1489522370' post='3257676']
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure how it works, but I think Vintage are owned by JHS, who the lawsuit was filed against.
[/quote]

I'm not up on legalese and haven't spent a long time reading about it, but it doesn't look like Gibson actually won against JHS initially, but that was still enough to prompt them to change their designs. [url="http://www.musicincmag.com/News/2016/111416/111416_Gibson.html"]http://www.musicincm...416_Gibson.html[/url]

It looks like it doesn't really matter if Gibson are able to win any threatened legal actions, merely showing willingness to go to court is probably enough to deter many smaller companies from selling instruments that closely resemble their designs.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1489580481' post='3258078']
I've heard alot of that too and trust the players that have told me. The irony is that I just picked up a cheap Gibson USA 2014 Les Paul Melody Maker model and the QC on that one is great. Go figure...
[/quote]

But you surely can't know that the QC is great, only that the build quality of that particular specimen is great. For every one great one, they might be shipping out 20 crap ones.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1489587514' post='3258177']
But you surely can't know that the QC is great, only that the build quality of that particular specimen is great. For every one great one, they might be shipping out 20 crap ones.
[/quote]

I wasn't saying that they are all great, just that i was pleasantly surprised that my cheap model came out the box really good, considering that when friends have gone in to shops to spend big bucks they have played bad examples.

It was just a light hearted comment :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1489586383' post='3258170']
I can see the sense in discouraging other manufacturers from making designs where the headstock snaps if you sneeze, yes.
[/quote]

The silly thing is, they went a long way towards sorting that issue in the 70s with 3-piece maple necks with a volute at the headstock, and nobody liked them because they weren't exactly like the old ones. Musicians can be a fickle bunch...

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1489589941' post='3258213']
The silly thing is, they went a long way towards sorting that issue in the 70s with 3-piece maple necks with a volute at the headstock, and nobody liked them because they weren't exactly like the old ones. Guitarists[s]Musicians[/s] can be a fickle bunch...
[/quote]